_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
A few questions
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 835 Posts
KitMaker Network: 350 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 02, 2002 - 02:34 PM UTC
I thought I would save some space and combine a few questions. I guess I could have inflated my rank by spreading them out, but oh well.

1. is the Lee bradley kit any good

2. I have seen some strips of material on the front turrent of the M1 Abrams. It apears to be buttoned on. What is this for?

3. Does anyone know a good source for modern camo nets in 1/35 scale. I have studied them a bit and the gause pad method (which I think works ok for WWII) just doesn't seem to match up because of the wavy pattern of the strips.

Thanks for any help all.
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 02, 2002 - 09:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

1. is the Lee bradley kit any good

No, stay away. A cheap copy of the Tamiya kit. The Academy kit is a Tamiya copy as well. The Tamiya M2 with interior has been rereleased and is a good kit. The M2A2 is also a good rendition of a Desert Storm vehicle.

Quoted Text

2. I have seen some strips of material on the front turrent of the M1 Abrams. It apears to be buttoned on. What is this for?

The stips are Velcro. Big 2" wide strips come in long rolls and have the peel and stick backing. Spray some 3M adhesive on the turret and and roll the Velcro across the lower edge of the turret and along the edge of the bustle rack. It is used to hold the MILES laser sensors belts when participating in war games. The little black "buttons" you see are the sensors along the belt that will receive a hit on the vehicle. The system in turn relays the signal to the control box located at the loader's station and if the "hit" is strong enough to kill the tank, then the orange kill light (called a whoopie light) goes off on the turret top indicating a dead vehicle. Near misses will cause the light to flash a couple of times. All tanks will have the Velcro strips, only tanks participating in war games will have the MILES sensor strips attached to the Velcro strips.

Quoted Text

3. Does anyone know a good source for modern camo nets in 1/35 scale. I have studied them a bit and the gause pad method (which I think works ok for WWII) just doesn't seem to match up because of the wavy pattern of the strips.

Wet the gause down with white glue and sprinkle railroad diorama material (lichen?) on the wet gause. It should look good enough.
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 3,586 Posts
KitMaker Network: 453 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 02, 2002 - 09:59 PM UTC
Hey Andrew,
Did you read my NTC Abrams article here. It expalins all about the MILES gear and where it goes.
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
entire network: 4,082 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 03, 2002 - 01:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Wet the gause down with white glue and sprinkle railroad diorama material (lichen?) on the wet gause. It should look good enough.

That's the way to do it. Also wallpaper glue works good. Doesn't leave any stains too.
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 835 Posts
KitMaker Network: 350 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 03, 2002 - 07:37 AM UTC
Thanks for the info guys, I will be heading to the hobby shop for some Lichen

Quoted Text

Did you read my NTC Abrams article here. It expalins all about the MILES gear and where it goes.

No I haven't been there, but that was my next question so I will be heading there before I go to the hobby shop!
 _GOTOTOP