_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
HELP: How do You Bend German Buckles?
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 07, 2013 - 12:45 PM UTC
I must have spent somewhere near 48 trying to bend these little things. I am trying to bend 1:35 WWII German buckles. I can bend the individual pieces, but am unable to get the buckle attached to the strap assembly. I have tried extreme magnification, bright lights, gluing one piece down and using micro tweezers. All of this to no avail. Do you have any recommendations on how to attach these two pieces? TIA
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,094 Posts
KitMaker Network: 134 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 07, 2013 - 10:23 PM UTC
Hi Matt- I work with buckles and strap-tie downs a bit myself- any chance you could show a picture of what ones or describe what kind of buckle it is- i.e. for a belt or a gun strap etc??
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 08, 2013 - 01:48 AM UTC

Step four of the top two types.
Karl187
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, June 08, 2013 - 10:58 PM UTC
I see what your getting at now. Yeah- I find doing anything to buckles this size is real tedious and more than a few bits go flying to the floor monster's lair. However, my own way of doing it is with needle nose tweezers- I have a set of Italeri tweezers that curve into fine, thin and points (with a rounded cross-section)- if I have to bend something of this size I tend to grip it between the tweezers and bend it round one of the sides- then apply it to the subject. This is just the way I do it but I know people that use a small piece of blu-tac to anchor a bit of the buckle and then carefully bend it using tweezers. White PVA glue will also hold a piece of etch in place for a while once it dries- it won't hold it permanently but it will hold it enough to gently manipulate it.

If it was me doing that assembly I'd definetly be bending those parts using the needle nose tweezers. I hope this helps you out a bit Matt.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 09, 2013 - 08:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I see what your getting at now. Yeah- I find doing anything to buckles this size is real tedious and more than a few bits go flying to the floor monster's lair. However, my own way of doing it is with needle nose tweezers- I have a set of Italeri tweezers that curve into fine, thin and points (with a rounded cross-section)- if I have to bend something of this size I tend to grip it between the tweezers and bend it round one of the sides- then apply it to the subject. This is just the way I do it but I know people that use a small piece of blu-tac to anchor a bit of the buckle and then carefully bend it using tweezers. White PVA glue will also hold a piece of etch in place for a while once it dries- it won't hold it permanently but it will hold it enough to gently manipulate it.

If it was me doing that assembly I'd definetly be bending those parts using the needle nose tweezers. I hope this helps you out a bit Matt.

I have tried this. However, I used CA glue. It may be a little too brittle. Luckily, I have a bottle of white glue on my bench. Looks like more hours of fun, followed by a stiff drink.
Grauwolf
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 2,485 Posts
KitMaker Network: 480 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 09, 2013 - 10:51 AM UTC
Matt,
You should give Passion Model's "Jenny's German clamps" a try.

Apparently, they are designed as so they are easier to build.

A google search will lead you to them.

Cheers,
Joe
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 09, 2013 - 11:11 AM UTC
Thanks Joe. The Dragon ones are horrible. I was hoping Griffon was a step up, but I ran into the same problem.

Wow! Those are cheap! $6, shipped.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 09, 2013 - 01:45 PM UTC
The apex of my modeling life!

I used the Griffon strap with the Dragon clasp. Went together easily.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 09, 2013 - 08:17 PM UTC
Have it down, using just the Griffon parts. Had to use the most expensive tool I have. One pair of micro tweezers, a magnifier and my fingers get the job done.
Karl187
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, June 09, 2013 - 10:17 PM UTC
Good stuff Matt, glad to hear you got it sorted. BTW- I use Aber buckles and straps and they are quite stiff and not brittle so they don't tend to fold up on me if I miss-handle them- I'm not sure if they do tie-down straps of the type you are doing here but they might be worth a look if they do.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 09, 2013 - 10:31 PM UTC
The Griffon ones are very nice. I've on broke two, out of seventeen. More of them have been lost to the carpet monster.
 _GOTOTOP