TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
The Iraq War (BBC UK)
Redprol
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 103 Posts
KitMaker Network: 13 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 07, 2013 - 08:01 AM UTC
Currently being broadcast on the BBC here in the UK this excellent 3 part documentary series, check it out if you can.

Redprol
firstcircle
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,249 Posts
KitMaker Network: 198 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 14, 2013 - 12:26 AM UTC
Yes, it was a good series, they certainly managed to get a lot of the big names to appear in front of the camera for interviews, including Dick Cheney and Paul Bremer - almost as if Bush and Rice were the only ones really missing. Perhaps that was a result of the fact that the series certainly tried to ply a fairly non-controversial line in that it didn't try to "interpret" events too much.

One of the things that fascinated me was the decision making process that led to both the original invasion, and, especially, the disbanding of the Iraqi army.

Also interesting how day by day news reports of events as they happen at the time can be very uninformative about what is actually happening and why, i.e. the bigger picture.

Redprol
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, June 15, 2013 - 10:23 AM UTC
I agree, it just so happens that another series, Oliver Stones Untold history of the USA, is on here in the UK, covered the Bush-Clinton-Bush period and had a much more of the background of the politics, in the US, to the events leading up to the war, it was a left field view, nothing wrong there, but was very interesting for a non US citizen.

Catch the series if you can.
firstcircle
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, June 15, 2013 - 12:35 PM UTC
Hmm, I just tried to find when / where that is on, but couldn't find it - what channel is it on, please? Found a mention on Radio Times website but it seemed to be "not scheduled for transmission" which looked a bit strange.

EDIT: I get it, it's on Sky Atlantic, a channel I don't have, I guess I'll catch it some other way.
Redprol
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, June 16, 2013 - 07:20 AM UTC
Hi i think its an HBO series, Sky Atlantic is the UK home for HBO, will be out on DVD soon i would imagine buy it if you see it, you could try netflix as they carry documentary series.

Redprol
Redprol
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, June 16, 2013 - 07:28 AM UTC
Just checked out on DVD 1st July.

Redprol
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 20, 2013 - 02:37 AM UTC
I have Netflix and am looking forward to seeing this series. What is the title?
firstcircle
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, June 20, 2013 - 02:51 AM UTC
Matt I assume yor're talking about the original subject of this thread, and not the Oliver Stone series, in which case it is just called "The Iraq War".