_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Bad experiences
Blitzkrieg_17
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 9 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 06, 2013 - 01:40 PM UTC
Hello my fellow modellers.
Recently I have started building the "75 Plymouth duster NHRA funny car"
By revell.
Unfortunatatly I had to pack this baby up after a week. Why?
The parts and instructions look like its been created by a 8 year old
Sorry if I offended any one but I have had some bad experiences with modelling ( quality of instructions and parts) i.e trumpeter

Tell me. Have you had any bad experiences?
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 06, 2013 - 08:25 PM UTC
Im pretty sure every modeller here has such experiences, especailly with instruction getting more complex with increased part count and the difficulty in rendering certain details in scale.
I think the majority overcome these probles relatively easy because of experience from building and I suppose as modellers we have a stubborn streak where we wont let a poor instruction or badly engineered part beat us.
As I dont know you or the kits you have had problems with, its hard to comment further, but Im sure if you show images of the parts and instructions you wil get more specific help to beat this also. I wouldn´t recommend "Packing up" everytime just because you have a problem.
Learning to solve these problems is what makes a modeller, compared to somebody who assembles a model like a jigsaw?
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 06, 2013 - 09:32 PM UTC
IMO Dragon and Trumpeter have the worst record, as far as instructions go. I have a firm grasp of Dragon's pitiful excuse and, luckily, Trumpeter is not as bad. Test fit. Test fit, Test fit. What I dislike the most is when the location of a part directly effects how a more noticeable part attaches. Also, I have found that it is best to never follow the instructions in order. There will be some large piece 5 steps down the road that you can't attach, because the assembly blocking it was done in step 2.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 07, 2013 - 03:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

IMO Dragon and Trumpeter have the worst record, as far as instructions go.

Not even close in my books. Sure there is an odd mistake, but havent come across too much that hasn´t already been pointed out in reviews/previews, or detected myself by dry fitting first. Try some of the Eastern Eurpean companies instructions, ... > 50th generation copy, Russian or Polish text thats not ledgible anyway, and picture so washed out, that they are, for all intense purposes, useless.
Hullebullen
Visit this Community
Alvsborgs, Sweden
entire network: 68 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 07, 2013 - 05:10 AM UTC
The Trumpeter kits I have built have all been fairly clear concerning build sequence. One thing they do miss and should correct is that they sometimes give you optional parts without telling when to use those parts. I have a trumpy T-62 w/ERA that gives options for the gun barrel detail but doesn't say how or why.

Most of my mistakes when it comes to building is when I build when I'm really too tired. 95% of my build problems usually stems from burning the midnight oil and I end up getting it wrong, such as using the wrong parts (when they give you build options) or missing a step in the build sequence.
Sandbox
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 350 Posts
KitMaker Network: 179 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 07, 2013 - 08:28 AM UTC
I tried a T-72B with Kontakt ERA by WSN (that what box says). Tried several different glues but could not get anything to really adhere parts together. I gave up and just use the big pieces for testing spray paint on.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Friday, June 07, 2013 - 08:34 AM UTC
Try the steering linkage for Trumpeter's sd.kfz.7.
Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 2,659 Posts
KitMaker Network: 865 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 07, 2013 - 09:00 AM UTC
hmmm

My Worst Experience was the time I dropped my hobby knife and when I looked down I saw it sticking in the top of my Foot..

my 2nd worse was the time the wife found the receipt for 3 dragon kits a dozen bottles of paint, an airbrush and a couple of magazines..

Delbert

Delbert
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Friday, June 07, 2013 - 09:07 AM UTC
I forgot. Tank Workshop directions are one of those 50th gen copies. I trash a resin interior, because of this. Well, I actually still have it unassembled.
Blitzkrieg_17
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 9 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 07, 2013 - 09:35 AM UTC
Yup always hide your recipts
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 3,389 Posts
KitMaker Network: 625 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 07, 2013 - 10:11 AM UTC
Hobbyboss TBM-3. Great detail, poor fit, like a sock full or oranges. I tried everything.
 _GOTOTOP