History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
Arab--Israeli Conflict
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 6,149 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,551 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 02, 2002 - 09:09 AM UTC
We continue to intelligently discuss the current India-Pakistan crisis. Superb dialogue. Let's see what we can come up with by shifting focus to the Middle East. The suicide bomber continues to terrorize Israel. They are lauded in their homeland. Israel continues to seize parts of Palestine, search and destroy then return to Israel. Is the Middle East a dilemna rather a puzzle? A puzzle is something you can put back together, a dilemna is something you just live with.....what is the correct course of action for the US in this situation?
DJ
stavka2000
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 120 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 02, 2002 - 10:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

what is the correct course of action for the US in this situation?
DJ

Hey DJ,

I do not think that the US should do anything else but to try and have the UN solve this problem. In fact, this is what the whole world community should do.

Not to step on anybodies toes, but the UN basically mandated in 1948 that a state be formed for the Jewish people. They seem to have forgotten that there were already Palestinian people there.

As long as neither side can't just sit at a table and do something, there will be no peace.

Sometimes I think the Western world should keep out of this altogether. When The Netherlands supported Israel in the Yom Kippur War they and the other European countries got an oil boycot on their heads. A thank you from the Arab world. They also have butter on their heads when it comes to open dialogue and manipulating the peace process.

Like I said, I think the UN should solve this. No need for the US or any other Nato ally to initiate peace talks, because then we will be labeled as "friends of Israel" by the Arabs, which will lead to nothing.

Bravo-Comm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 525 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 02, 2002 - 10:48 AM UTC
DJ; In my Humble Personal / Christian Veiw Point, We as a nation have both a personal and religious obligation to stay Israel's Friends. Perhaps not a very safe or popular view point: But the moment that we turn away from them, Well then we also turn fully away from the GOD that created us and gave us the right to lead the world. Now I'm not saying that if we see them do something illegal or imoral that we should ignore it and just look the other way .BUT at the same time. We are looked upon by the rest of the world as the one nation that HAS to keep it's promises or be looked upon as no better than the rest of the Terrorist Murders out there. We must continue to support and assist them as best as we can. And not hold them back when it comes to them defending themselves from those that wish to destroy them. At some point in the future WE WILL turn our backs on them BUT only in accordance to GODS will and planning. He will in the end liberate and return the nation of Israel to it's originaly intended glory.... Meanwhile we should keep our eyes on the events that are occurring there. Exciting things are happening. Sorry I did not mean to preach. But I feel very strongly that the world is being led to believe alot of terrible lies about the events and cercumstances that are occurring there.
Well You Asked what I thought. So I told you. Hope you didn't mind.

DAGGER-1
stavka2000
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, June 02, 2002 - 10:56 AM UTC
All,

When I said that we would be labeled as "friends of Israel" when we would try to initiate peace talks I meant that that might be a reason for the Arab side to not take it too seriously because they might think that we would not listen to the Ara/Palestinian point of view, or make decisions in favor of Israel.

Again, I support Israel's viewpoints.

Regards,
Trackjam
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 831 Posts
KitMaker Network: 210 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 02, 2002 - 11:15 AM UTC
If the UN or the "West" is going to get involved here, we are going to have to treat both sides as beligerants without any favouratism to either side. There are no people in white hats here. While we continue to abhor the use of suicide bombers, we can't blindly apporve of some of the things Isreal dos in their defence. Taking sides or assigning blame will only result in failure. A heavily armed UN or other force will have to treat both sides equally and engage either in the event of a transgression, including Israel.
Personally, thats one mission I'd rather opt out if and when the time comes.
Posted: Sunday, June 02, 2002 - 11:18 AM UTC
seriously, we should support Israel, because they are the only democratic country in the region. for some reason when an arab is killed, it doesn't bother me. it seems like all they want to do is live in the 7th century. and their bloody religion keeps them from thinking intelligently. after what the Jews went through in WWll i hope they keep their land by whatever means necessary. normally, i hate war, but in this case i make an exception. ok, i'll say it, i do not like arabs.

should send 10,000 pigskins for their future funeral
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 02, 2002 - 11:32 AM UTC
Usually when we get into the middle of a regional dispute, the two sides stop feuding with one another and turn towards the US to attack. If we stay away, we are criticized because we are doing nothing. One of the most intelligent things I have heard in recent days is "Get outta Dodge!" with respect to the India-Pakistan dispute. Much like the Arab-Israeli conflict, there will be no winners. Unfortunately, these conflicts will go on as long as both entities continue to exist. With immigration and people travelling abroad to study and work, there is no way for one side to eradicate the other. There will always be people removed from the region that will return to continue the fight.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 02, 2002 - 11:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

seriously, we should support Israel, because they are the only democratic country in the region. for some reason when an arab is killed, it doesn't bother me. it seems like all they want to do is live in the 7th century. and their bloody religion keeps them from thinking intelligently. after what the Jews went through in WWll i hope they keep their land by whatever means necessary. normally, i hate war, but in this case i make an exception. ok, i'll say it, i do not like arabs.

Chris,
I get that you don't like Arabs, but please try to keep to the topic. I don't like taxes but you seldom see me talking about it here.

To All,
I don't mind having these current events topics (as opposed to the WWII What-Ifs) as long as they are kept friendly and don't start digressing on something along the lines of "let's nuke 'em". This is an international forum and a place for friendly interchanges. Not that we have a lot of Palestinian, Arab, or Muslim users (that I am aware of), but even so I would like this site to remain a pleasant relaxing gathering spot. I hope this sentiment is shared by a majority of you all.

Also - As this is the History Talk forum, (not really a point of contention but merely a little known fact) the Arab world of the 7th century was technologically superior to most of Europe. In fact it would remain so for about 500 years.

Cheers,
Jim
stavka2000
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, June 02, 2002 - 12:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

point of contention but merely a little known fact) the Arab world of the 7th century was technologically superior to most of Europe. In fact it would remain so for about 500 years.

Also, the Koran doesn't call for killing the infidels etc. It is the mullah's and the others that twist the teachings of the Koran and give this to the uneducated person in the street. And history has taught us that if you keep repeating lies, sooner or later you'll start to believe in it.

210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 02, 2002 - 08:20 PM UTC
I see this conflict between suicide bombers on one side and tanks on the other as the embodiment of asymmetrical warfare. I mean by that what are you going to do to convince someone not to strap explosive around themselves and set it off? Rolling a tank brigade into a town and scaring the crap out of innocent folks does not help your cause. I am afraid I return to my original post and say that the conflict is a dilemna...one which we must live with, there is no solution or mediation that is going to break down the real and imaginary barriers these folks built and reinforce daily.
DJ
sourkraut
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 602 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 02, 2002 - 10:03 PM UTC
seems to me that the only thing that will work is to build a wall to keep these people separated.it worked for china

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Chris,
I get that you don't like Arabs, but please try to keep to the topic. I don't like taxes but you seldom see me talking about it here.

To All,
I don't mind having these current events topics (as opposed to the WWII What-Ifs) as long as they are kept friendly and don't start digressing on something along the lines of "let's nuke 'em". This is an international forum and a place for friendly interchanges. Not that we have a lot of Palestinian, Arab, or Muslim users (that I am aware of), but even so I would like this site to remain a pleasant relaxing gathering spot. I hope this sentiment is shared by a majority of you all.

Also - As this is the History Talk forum, (not really a point of contention but merely a little known fact) the Arab world of the 7th century was technologically superior to most of Europe. In fact it would remain so for about 500 years.

Cheers,
Jim

but Jim,this is history in the making
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 02, 2002 - 11:28 PM UTC
Scott---we have the Washington Post in my neck of the woods. One of their editorial writers (Richard Cohen) wrote an interesting piece on the construction of a physical barrier to facilitate a "peace" process. I finished it and said to myself, "nah, don't think so. Too simplistic." The separation would be a temporary measure, but would fail in the long run. The fence concept would not address the issue of settlements on former Palestinian land or the issue of water from the Golan Heights. Whether they know it or not, that is what the governments of their nations are squabbling over. Water and land. Now, if we confine ourselves to those topics and how to mediate a reasonable settlement, I think we go along way to resolving the conflict.
DJ
sourkraut
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 02, 2002 - 11:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Scott---we have the Washington Post in my neck of the woods. One of their editorial writers (Richard Cohen) wrote an interesting piece on the construction of a physical barrier to facilitate a "peace" process. I finished it and said to myself, "nah, don't think so. Too simplistic." The separation would be a temporary measure, but would fail in the long run. The fence concept would not address the issue of settlements on former Palestinian land or the issue of water from the Golan Heights. Whether they know it or not, that is what the governments of their nations are squabbling over. Water and land. Now, if we confine ourselves to those topics and how to mediate a reasonable settlement, I think we go along way to resolving the conflict.
DJ

dj,it may be a starting point at least untill they cool down a little bit
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Monday, June 03, 2002 - 12:03 AM UTC
Scott-agree. As I said as temporary impediment to suicide bombers, it might prove very useful. Eventually, they will have to address and settle the questions of land and water....
DJ
Greg
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 455 Posts
KitMaker Network: 149 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 03, 2002 - 12:06 AM UTC
I am inclined to side with Scott on the Wall issue, DJ. Short-term it might help, at least insofar as the level of paranoia can be gradually reduced. Absolutely correct assessment that what is REALLY being fought over are land and water; everything else is a veneer slapped on to justify actions/whip up support/cover butts politically. The real spoilers here are the extremist on both sides of the (not yet built) fence who will not accept the right of the other side to exist. For a lasting peace to be made, these guys need to be marginalized. Keeping a wall between them for about a hundred years might be good. With well guarded gates, both sides can feel secure. Over a hundred years' time, the passions can cool and slow, tntative steps at political and economic engagement can happen. PEACE happens when it finally dawns on both sides that everybody can make more money and have a better quality of life by expanding commerce, cooperation, and removing the wall. But there is too little trust in the region now. for this to work. These kids need to be sent to their rooms to think things over for a couple of generations. Just my .02....
Greg
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 1,290 Posts
KitMaker Network: 480 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 03, 2002 - 12:18 AM UTC
DJ is right in his description of this being a dilemma. Each side is taking actions that are within their respective capabilities and is what they believe is right. The dilemma is that these same actions just generate more and more reactions. Each side's actions feed the extremists on the opposite side. Every homicide bomber causes an Israeli rocket, tank or bulldozer to react, while these Israeli responses just add more credibility to the Palestinian radicals and simplififies their recruiting.

Jeff
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Monday, June 03, 2002 - 12:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I am inclined to side with Scott on the Wall issue, DJ. Short-term it might help, at least insofar as the level of paranoia can be gradually reduced. Absolutely correct assessment that what is REALLY being fought over are land and water; everything else is a veneer slapped on to justify actions/whip up support/cover butts politically. The real spoilers here are the extremist on both sides of the (not yet built) fence who will not accept the right of the other side to exist. For a lasting peace to be made, these guys need to be marginalized. Keeping a wall between them for about a hundred years might be good. With well guarded gates, both sides can feel secure. Over a hundred years' time, the passions can cool and slow, tntative steps at political and economic engagement can happen. PEACE happens when it finally dawns on both sides that everybody can make more money and have a better quality of life by expanding commerce, cooperation, and removing the wall. But there is too little trust in the region now. for this to work. These kids need to be sent to their rooms to think things over for a couple of generations. Just my .02....
Greg

Greg--I must admit, I can not come up with a better short range solution. Imposing a guarded physical barrier between the two countries and getting them both agree not to cross it might work wonders over time. The potential for trade between to Israelis and the Arabs is enough to make any inventive entrepreneur's mouth water. Trading butter instead of bombs and bullets would work miracles.
DJ
sourkraut
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Monday, June 03, 2002 - 12:30 AM UTC
i built a diorama of a nuclear detonation in 1/35th once.it was actually a very easy modelling project.it requires the use of 1 old truck.a 12 ft.chain and a large tree stump
Greg
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Monday, June 03, 2002 - 01:56 AM UTC
Riiiiiiiiiiight, Scott....So...as regards the nuclear dio, are you referring to the wreckage of the truck with the rear axle torn off or the hoped-for hole in the ground?

Having been a history teacher once upon a LONG time ago, I must also pose the query to you: What is the precise point you were wishing to make with respect to the topic at hand? I ask only because it eludes me, and because the former educator in me wishes to keep everyone on task...
Greg
sourkraut
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Monday, June 03, 2002 - 02:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Riiiiiiiiiiight, Scott....So...as regards the nuclear dio, are you referring to the wreckage of the truck with the rear axle torn off or the hoped-for hole in the ground?

Having been a history teacher once upon a LONG time ago, I must also pose the query to you: What is the precise point you were wishing to make with respect to the topic at hand? I ask only because it eludes me, and because the former educator in me wishes to keep everyone on task...
Greg

it seems be be on everyones mind,as this situation gets worse,and has become a real possibility

just look in the direction the situation is going,its not rocket science
Greg
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Monday, June 03, 2002 - 02:19 AM UTC
OK, Scott...I didn't mean to be insulting. Your comment about "the way things are going" has some merit, but currently the only side with warheads are the Israelis. And the only time they have been even slightly inclined to use them was in '73 when Syria came close to breaking out from the Golan Heights. Israel keeps them as a political tool. Nukes in the immediate area of contention is not really realistic no matter how rabid or obtuse either side becomes. The reason is distance. There isn't enough of it. Blowing up Tel Aviv directly contaminates the entire region, for example. No point in doing that if your avowed objective is to push the Isrealis into the sea to get the land they are sitting on. Perhaps a couple of really extreme guys might accept that, but your average Palestinian would not. I totally agree that it is out of hand over there, but since only one side has nukes I think the threat of warheads being used in that region is far lower than in Kashmir right now.
Greg
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Monday, June 03, 2002 - 03:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

OK, Scott...I didn't mean to be insulting. Your comment about "the way things are going" has some merit, but currently the only side with warheads are the Israelis. And the only time they have been even slightly inclined to use them was in '73 when Syria came close to breaking out from the Golan Heights. Israel keeps them as a political tool. Nukes in the immediate area of contention is not really realistic no matter how rabid or obtuse either side becomes. The reason is distance. There isn't enough of it. Blowing up Tel Aviv directly contaminates the entire region, for example. No point in doing that if your avowed objective is to push the Isrealis into the sea to get the land they are sitting on. Perhaps a couple of really extreme guys might accept that, but your average Palestinian would not. I totally agree that it is out of hand over there, but since only one side has nukes I think the threat of warheads being used in that region is far lower than in Kashmir right now.
Greg

Greg--so what do you think of the wall idea? Is it feasible? Practical?
DJ
RufusLeeking
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 330 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 03, 2002 - 04:06 AM UTC
I think the US and the UN need to stay out of this region. But the UN needs to get both sides at a peace table and talking again. But no way should the UN ever send in troops to keep the peace. Just my opinion.
Greg
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Monday, June 03, 2002 - 05:24 AM UTC
DJ asked me if a wall is feasible or practical. Yes, with caveats. After all, it did a pretty good job of isolating Berlin for almost 30 years.

The location for the wall would be a bit troublesome. I would favor a line coincident with the boundaries of the West Bank prior to the '67 war--including slicing through Jerusalem. Some of the Israeli settlements and annexations would be on the wrong side of this, but to me that is part of the point. It should be a signal to those settlers (many of them rather radical) that they are in a dangerously exposed position. The army won't be there to station the Golani Brigade to keep them safe; the army has to stay behind the wall. The sellters either move inside or start behaving in ways that endear them to their Palestinian neighbors. The Palestinians in turn would have ot accept them being there, but be secure in the knowledge that there would be no more growth to the settlements. Normal effects of population movement over time would renders these little flashpoints rather qiuiescent, I imagine.

Indeed, they might become over time the routine points of contact and intercourse (general sense of the word, guys!) between the two peoples. Not immediately, but their presesnce over the wall would tend to facilitate communication.

Not easy to implement, this. Any settlements of Israelis or Palestininans on the wrong side of the proposed wall are bound to scream bloody murder at the prospect, and of course some will simply use it to add to their grudges. The hope here would be that those who take that view would become marginalized over time. Bottom line is, it is in everyone's best interests to make BOTH cultures feel secure in their homes before they will start talking to each other about larger issues. Neither side feels that way right now, and the extreme elements have no vested interest in seeing security happen unless it is on terms they define. Bad idea. So, a barrier that keeps the extremists out from BOTH sides of hte barrier helps everyone interested in moderation and dialogue. Just my .02...
Greg
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Monday, June 03, 2002 - 07:37 AM UTC
Greg--fine response. You highlighted the key point . The aftermath of the wall's construction is the more confusing and divisive argument over what to do about the Israeli settlements on the "wrong" side of the line. Would this not become another example of the law of unintended consequence?
DJ