_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Gauze for camo nets?
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 24, 2003 - 11:58 AM UTC
I tried using some rolled gauze last night for a camo net for a couple of projects. I wasn't happy with the result. The openings were far more uniform and square than I wanted. I tried streching the material to get a more open look but It still wasn't what I had in mind. Any suggestions on what type of guaze to use, how many rolls to make, or how to stretch it?
RotorHead67
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,174 Posts
KitMaker Network: 161 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 24, 2003 - 01:28 PM UTC
HALFYANK,
You got the right idea and material. I use surgical guaze as well.
CAUTION: There are (2) types of guaze. one is cotton weave and it doesnt stretch, the other
which I think you have, Is of a thicker material that does have stretchy ,springing qualities.
You want the cotton weave w/ no stretch.
I take this type, and cut to approximate shape then, dip whole thing in 50/50 water/elmers,
position the net in location. Before it dries........sprinkle walthers or life like train landscaping material,
( the foam particle type, not the grass grainy sawdust type) It looks more like leaves not grass or dirt. .....in selected areas of the wet guaze. Another good option is the precut leaves you can get from Hudson Allen. (this is great STUFF0 gotta see it to believe it.
After you've placed the net, applied the leaves,.........back off and let it dry a bit. Then come back paint with a mix of shades, then spray w/ a fixative like 3M or Life Like/ Walters
landscape cement. Then step back and ADMIRE YOUR GREAT JOB.
Sweat: Hope this helps. try it its pretty easy.
PLMP110
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 1,318 Posts
KitMaker Network: 409 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 24, 2003 - 02:05 PM UTC

This stuff is perfect for netting. It's all cotton, with loose weaving. Looks great after dying or painting. You can also get the square kind of bandages. What you want is nonsterile 4x4's. All of these things are availbable at your local pharmacy.

Patrick
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
entire network: 2,247 Posts
KitMaker Network: 718 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 12:28 PM UTC
Another good product for cam nets.....is cheese cloth.....cheap...and enough to last you a life time.

Use in the same way an above post mentioned
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 03:59 PM UTC
Thanks guys, especially you RotorHead. I admit what you wrote about getting the non stretchy kind of guaze didn't seem to make much sense to me. But I picked up a package of guaze that didn't say stretch on it and it's exactly what I remember from when I was a kid. I never new they had "improved" it and the new stuff wasn't any good for models. It's cheaper too.

Thanks again.

RotorHead67
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,174 Posts
KitMaker Network: 161 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 06:56 PM UTC
HalfYank,
Your welcome. AND FYI. Be careful there is also a product called clingwrap. Its guaze to but has a solution that lets it stick to itsself without tape. NO GOOD

VIPER:
Yes cheescloth can be used too, but I find that it unraveles and it also has little fuzzy
hairs that show up after its been cut.
 _GOTOTOP