_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
JIM and Armorama family, INPUT on Idea!
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 3,586 Posts
KitMaker Network: 453 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 02, 2002 - 09:07 AM UTC
Well, this topic might actually have gone down in the junk draw forum, but it has to do with general modeling.
Just recently, I sent Drewgimpy(Andrew) a couple of extra spare parts for a HUMMER at no charge. In return, Andrew offered some parts he wasnt going to use. The idea is like a Trade Forum. For example, I have 2 or 3 complete Mine Plow kits for the M1 Abrams that I will probably never use. I would like to give them to someone who needs them or can use them for something, and in return, that person would trade me for something they might have that I can use. Now if everyone is like me, you have a large spare parts bow with all kinds og goodies that you might or might not use. Sort of like a Flea Market. I know some one is going to say we already have the Sell/Trade/Looking For Forum, but Im thinking of something different. The main thing is MONEY would be the least concern. Items would be small.
Here is another example: say someone is build a vehicle and needs 2 or 3 rucksacks. Well I might have a hand full and instead of that person going out and buying a $20 accessory set for 3 rucksacks, someone would be willing to give them up or trade for them.

INPUT and IDEAS or just forget about the whole thing. WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK, ESPECIALLY YOU JIM, since this is your baby?
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 02, 2002 - 09:11 AM UTC
It sounds like a great idea.

German jerrycans
Tamiya sandbags
WWII infantry weapons

Matt
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 02, 2002 - 09:14 AM UTC
Great idea Pete. I'll try my best to put together a list of what I might have.

Let see, to get the ball rolling............

I've got 3 boxes of Tamiya U.S. Infantry weapons sets....can't use 'em all, so for example if someone needs one or a couple of the weapons to fill out a dio..........?
I've also got 3 boxes of Tamiya sandbags.......don't need them all.......
How about the Tamiya Road sign set?

Tread.

Hope that helps you get the thing started Epi! :-)
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 02, 2002 - 09:15 AM UTC
Oh, got quite a few german gerry cans too......
Spike9077
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 179 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 02, 2002 - 09:22 AM UTC
Great Idea!!!!!!

Here is what I have:
-Some Windsor & Newton oil paints for figures (hardly used because never worked with them very well)
- Colors are burnt sienna, titanium white, yellow ochre, cadmium red, and cadmium yellow
-Some spare missiles from airplanes
-Some spare decals

Mark
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 02, 2002 - 09:28 AM UTC
Oooooh, Spike, now there's a good lad! Everyone's spare decals.....that opens up a cornucopia of possible good stuff doesn't it?
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 02, 2002 - 09:29 AM UTC
You guys got the idea!!!!!!!! We have to wait and see what the BOSS(JIM) thinks.
But remember, the idea is not to ask for money. Of course the how to's and cost of sending items would be made between the persons doing the trading. The idea is just to trade litle stuff or stuff we will never use. #:-) #:-)
Spike9077
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 179 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 02, 2002 - 09:31 AM UTC
Tread- I keep a whole box dedicated to my spare decals.

Mark
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 835 Posts
KitMaker Network: 350 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 02, 2002 - 10:08 AM UTC
As Epi knows, I love the idea. I think it would be a good idea to put a little thought and planning into the idea to make it run smoothly and so it will accomplish what we want.

The idea of just putting up a list of free stuff may not be the best way to do it in my opinion. I can see a few poeple that actually just can't pass up on free stuff saying they need lots of stuff they don't. Sorta like the people at the free samples of food at stores that have to try things a few times to make sure they like it, then they are full so they don't need to buy the stuff.

I think the better way might be to have a seperate forum where people can ask if anyone can help them with a paricular part or decal, and if someone does they can answer them. I would just hate to see people abuse the system and reck it for everyone. Well, my wife is yelling at me to get up so we can go to dinner at her parents. Hmmm.......I have a wife if anyone needs.......well I better stop before I get in trouble
shiryon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 876 Posts
KitMaker Network: 256 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 02, 2002 - 10:15 AM UTC
I had pretty good experience with this site
http://www.scalemodelindex.com/general.htm
The premise is he posts your needs and if someone has the spare you basically trade for cost of shipping. Site is pretty straight foward. Somthing like this would probably be great. I've got a whole bunch of ww2 german stuff both open and closed I'll never use.
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 1,561 Posts
KitMaker Network: 485 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 02, 2002 - 10:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The idea is just to trade litle stuff or stuff we will never use.

I've got a bunch of those square bottle Testors paints.... oh, wait. You want stuff others can actually use!!!
I wish I had some stuff to trade. Maybe I'll just have to pay for shipping costs. Stuff I'm looking for is: WW II US soldiers and weapons. That's about it for now. I could use some German ones too. (figures and weapons) I rummage throught the parts and see if there's anything useful.
By the way, I think it's a great idea! Knowing you can trust almost everyone on the site helps, too. :-)

YodaMan
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 02, 2002 - 11:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I wish I had some stuff to trade. Maybe I'll just have to pay for shipping costs. Stuff I'm looking for is: WW II US soldiers and weapons. That's about it for now. I could use some German ones too. (figures and weapons) I rummage throught the parts and see if there's anything useful.
YodaMan

E-mail me off line with your needs. I have boxes of figures that used to come with the older Tamiya kits that I will never use. Some are even mint on the sprues.
Michel
Visit this Community
France
entire network: 95 Posts
KitMaker Network: 33 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 02, 2002 - 01:16 PM UTC
Idem for me...I ' ve A LOT of things !
Some...Horresco referens...Aircrafts ! ( I/72 & 1/48th ), plus....Too many ! ( billions of M113, Dodges, T34s......)
Drop me a mail.....But remember, I live in France...Think around 10 bucks/ea. parcel...!
' ve a nice day...!
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 02, 2002 - 01:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Some are even mint on the sprues.

Rob,
As opposed to the ones that are worn from playing army? Or the ones that are in a melted heap from being set on fire? Or perhaps the ones that are covered in overspray? Lol

Jim
TUGA
Visit this Community
Setubal, Portugal
entire network: 1,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 562 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 02, 2002 - 07:46 PM UTC
Hi all,

I think it's a good idea.

We are a lot of this side of the pond and there are a lot of the other side that a lot of trade can be done at low costs.

If you are considering exchange of parts, the postal rates for those protected envelops are not so high.

Quoted Text

I think the better way might be to have a seperate forum where people can ask if anyone can help them with a paricular part or decal, and if someone does they can answer them. I would just hate to see people abuse the system and reck it for everyone.

I agree that's the best solution, but it's more work for Jim.

Chief
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 498 Posts
KitMaker Network: 203 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 02, 2002 - 11:35 PM UTC
A few years back I purchased Revell Germany's release of the 1/72 Flower Class Corvette. I first saw it on Crete in a hobby shop and had to have it. Well. I was stationed in Spain and after 20+ overseas calls to the U.S. I finally located the kit. $130.00 later it arrived MINUS THE INSTRUCTIONS! The shop couldn't locate them so I was stuck. 1 year later I'm on holiday in Yorkshire England and between pub stops I popped in to a hobby shop and asked if he had the kit, Nope! Couldn't get one for over a year, but he did give me the name for a guy whom they call "The Instructions and Decal man". I guess their IPMS chapter has a guy with file cabinets full of decals and instructions. He politely sent me a copy of the instructions and in return, just asked for postage and copy costs. Anybody like the idea of an instruction and decal repository?
ladymodelbuilder
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,218 Posts
KitMaker Network: 325 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 03, 2002 - 07:03 AM UTC
Sounds like a good idea to me, Pete...
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 03, 2002 - 01:26 PM UTC
Pete,
Sorry I didn't reply earlier. I was thinking. See the smoke coming out of my head?

I am not convinced we need a new forum for this. I think it's a great idea mind you. I guess I was waiting to see if anyone chimed in with another idea that would work better than just creating a new forum. Maybe I am wrong but for these posts couldn't they clearly be designated something like this:

TRADE: Need 3 Rucksacks

So am I wrong? I am not saying no to a new forum yet. Convince me!

I was actually thinking of having a Vendor forum for resellers etc. What does the community think of that idea? What do any vendors who read this think?

Thanks,
Jim
TUGA
Visit this Community
Setubal, Portugal
Posted: Monday, June 03, 2002 - 04:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I was actually thinking of having a Vendor forum for resellers etc. What does the community think of that idea? What do any vendors who read this think?

Thanks,
Jim

I think it's a good idea. Those less known companies can let us know of their last releases or ask for tips for future developments.

TUGA
Visit this Community
Setubal, Portugal
Posted: Monday, June 03, 2002 - 05:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

A few years back I purchased Revell Germany's release of the 1/72 Flower Class Corvette. I first saw it on Crete in a hobby shop and had to have it. Well. I was stationed in Spain and after 20+ overseas calls to the U.S. I finally located the kit. $130.00 later it arrived MINUS THE INSTRUCTIONS! The shop couldn't locate them so I was stuck. 1 year later I'm on holiday in Yorkshire England and between pub stops I popped in to a hobby shop and asked if he had the kit, Nope! Couldn't get one for over a year, but he did give me the name for a guy whom they call "The Instructions and Decal man". I guess their IPMS chapter has a guy with file cabinets full of decals and instructions. He politely sent me a copy of the instructions and in return, just asked for postage and copy costs. Anybody like the idea of an instruction and decal repository?

Here WWII Military Vehicle Resource Center IIII you have a lot of instructions sheets that you can download.

If someone put a post asking for the instructions of a kit, someone will have it and can scan them and send by e-mail. It has happen here at ArmoramA.

sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 03, 2002 - 07:33 PM UTC
Yes I think you are on too something. Maybe how about this does anybody say make their own PE kits. Like say I had made a set for the Hummer with tow and somebody had made the Hummel floor boxes for ammo then a trade could be done does this sound reasonable? Right now I have an extra PE set made by Eduard for the Hummer with M-242 Bushmaster.
Yes Jim need a new forum for this . as you know the posts might flood the General Modeling forum.
GO JIM GO
ArmouredSprue
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
entire network: 1,958 Posts
KitMaker Network: 720 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 03, 2002 - 08:30 PM UTC
Great idea
Can count me in....
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, June 03, 2002 - 10:16 PM UTC
Like I said, your the BOSS Jim!!!! How about just tweaking the sell, trade, looking for forum to incorporate this idea.

By the GREYHUNTER, I too, have some photo etch frets that still have some little do-dads still on them. I'll check tonight and see what I still have on them.
 _GOTOTOP