_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
HMS Hood wooden deck, is it worth it?
J8kob_F
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 202 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 07, 2013 - 11:58 PM UTC
Hi all!

I'm planning on building the trumpeter 1/350 HMS Hood and have been looking at getting a wooden deck for it. So my question is, in your opinion, is it worth paying for a wooden deck at all. Secondly can anyone recommend one, I’ve looked around and there seems to be an almost endless amount of manufactures of wooden deck for Hood and it’s making it very hard to choose.
Thanks in advance!

Jakob
golfermd
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
entire network: 152 Posts
KitMaker Network: 43 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2013 - 06:28 AM UTC
I guess the answer is: it depends. If you want a realistic finish then by all means go for it. In the sticks and strings (wooden ship models) hobby, we are used to building wooden decks. If we really want realism we use tree nails (wooden nails as used in period). I'm sure there are manufacturers who sell wooden decks for that model. Or, you can build it from scratch. It's not all that hard. There are some suppliers of wood planking. Here is one:

http://www.hobbymillusa.com/

Winter_Lion
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 87 Posts
KitMaker Network: 38 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 10, 2013 - 07:57 AM UTC
The wood would be awesome. Of course it's worth it. That model is big enough to show off a wooden deck nicely.

Plank it yourself. At that scale you couldn't see the nails. Buy some stock and glue it in yourself. It will have to be veneer though. Veneer planks can get very tedious.

You got time and patience? Do the veneer. All we got is time....lol

Winter
 _GOTOTOP