_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Scale Model Helper - color matching utility
GreenDragon
Visit this Community
Jerusalem, Israel
entire network: 6 Posts
KitMaker Network: 6 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 07, 2013 - 02:01 AM UTC
Hi folks, I've been working on a free (no ads) application for Android mobile devices (requires android 4.0) for a bit now, which is intended for scale model builders and miniature painters.

You can download Scale Model Helper for Android at the link.
I also have an online version of it, as well as a blog where I will be posting further updates.

Right now I have FS, RAL, RLM, Humbrol, Revell, Tamiya colors in it, but I will add as many color brands as possible. I'm also planning to add a color inventory features and other stuff.

Anyway, check it out, and let me know what you think.
GreenDragon
Visit this Community
Jerusalem, Israel
Posted: Thursday, May 30, 2013 - 01:01 AM UTC
Just released version 1.4 of Scale Model Helper. It contains the following changes:

- Testors / Model Master colors (not including Floquil and Pactra which are about to be discontinued)
- ANA – American Army-Navy Aeronautical color standard
- Added some basic terms and definitions for colors
- Color filter will now search on each search term separately. For example, previously a search for “red blue” would not have found any results. Now it will return results for either the word “red” or “blue”
- Any search on the word “gray” will also search automatically on the word “grey” and vice versa.
- Any color with no specific rgb value will now have a background color of the general row color. For example, previously a color that didn’t had any other matches would have a blank background color, and the color would show in the RGB column. Now it will have a background color.

I've also setup a poll on the website for what colors you want to see in the next update.
If you don't see the color that you want on the poll, let me know and I'll add it.
GreenDragon
Visit this Community
Jerusalem, Israel
Posted: Tuesday, July 02, 2013 - 08:10 AM UTC
Version 1.5 is now available:
- New color brands: Citadel / Games Workshop
- New color standard: British Standard - a set of standards used in Britain for construction and engineering, including colors (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Standards). I've included BS381C, BS5252, BS2600 and BS4800
- Search improvements: I've switched to an OR mode from the previous mode, which was a simple text search without separating the search terms, because I've seen people doing searches on multiple words, but because they weren't exactly the same as the color name, they didn't find what they were looking for. However, this caused a bigger problem, in that later searches would bring back a lot more results than what people actually wanted to search for.
I did some changes to the grid and searches are now happening on the server side. This enables me to share the search code between the online version and the Android application, and being able to do better searches.
Search will now be an AND mode between each term, so searching for "blue angel" will find all the colors that have both "blue" and "angel" in them, for example Testors 2023 "Blue Angels Yellow".
Also, you can search on exact text by wrapping the search term in double quotes, and you can search only specific color brands by prefixing the color brand name and a colon to the search term, for example, fs:blue will search for anything containing the word blue in only the FS color brand, and fs:"blue" will search for exactly the word blue in the FS color brand.
See the Advanced Help button in the applications for more details and examples.
- Search will no longer search in the RGB values to prevent false positives when searching for color numbers.

I've also reset the poll for the color brands in the next version, so vote for your favorite color brand. Reaper so far is in the lead. Let me know if there are other color brands that you want to see.
raypalmer
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,151 Posts
KitMaker Network: 100 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 03, 2013 - 01:33 PM UTC
I found this through google some months ago and it aided me immensely.

You get top marks from me Miki.
GreenDragon
Visit this Community
Jerusalem, Israel
Posted: Wednesday, July 03, 2013 - 05:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I found this through google some months ago and it aided me immensely.

You get top marks from me Miki.

Thanks
Robbd01
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 791 Posts
KitMaker Network: 161 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 04, 2013 - 01:09 AM UTC
For you iPhone users there is iModelkit

http://www.imodelkit.com/id6_WebSite_en/Home.html

GreenDragon
Visit this Community
Jerusalem, Israel
Posted: Thursday, July 18, 2013 - 08:54 AM UTC
It's a somewhat small update, but I wanted to finish it before getting to the new features I've been planning.

Here are the changes:

- Added Reaper colors
- Added Gunze colors
- Fixed bug when searching for some colors with the word grey, for example "ulthuan grey"
- Due to seeing people trying to search for specific brands but not adding colon, which would have returned zero results, I've added an option to search for specific colors with numbers without the colon. For example, instead of searching for "h:86" , you can write "h86" and get the same results. This will only work for searching for specific color numbers, otherwise you still need to separate the color brand and search term with ":" as explained in the Advanced Search section.
- Improved search speed

For the next version I'm planning a color inventory feature, as well as some more interactive features (flagging a color match and similar). I want people to be able to have access to their color inventory from either the online or the android versions, so I'll be doing an optional login of some sort, probably based on either facebook, google+, or just an email and password option, and the actual color inventory will be hosted on my server.

I'm also having some ideas about actual physical tools but I'm keeping it under wraps for the moment, I need to see how well it'll actually work out.

Scale Model Helper is a utility to make it easier for the scale model builder and miniature painter to match colors from different brands. There is an online version and an Android version.
GreenDragon
Visit this Community
Jerusalem, Israel
Posted: Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 06:11 AM UTC
Well, it's been 8 months since the last time I've released an update to Scale Model Helper, which is a lot longer than what I've been planning. I was having problems creating what I wanted with the application, and work was busy, so I didn't had much free time left. I did however managed to solve the technical problems, and I have more free time, so hopefully the next updates won't take as long.

Since it's been so long, here's a quick reminder of what is Scale Model Helper. Scale Model Helper is intended to help the scale model builders and miniature painters in their every needs, from color selection and matching, to scale model building to-do and shopping lists, whether you’re building armor, aircraft, ships, cars or trains. There is an online version at online version and an Android version.

Here are the changes in this version:
- Added P3 colors
- I've added support for marking colors in your inventory. It's very basic right now (you can see an example of how it works here, but will serve as a base for other online and shared content features that I'm planning. I'm using facebook as the identification mechanism as I didn't want to deal with usernames and passwords for now. An important feature is that this inventory is shared across both the online and the Android version if you login to facebook on each application.
- I've started a UserVoice site for Scale Model Helper. UserVoice is a site that lets me get feedback from people with bug reports and more importantly, ideas and features that they're interested in seeing in the next version, so I can have a better idea of what to work on next. The main portal for it is here, give it a look, browse around, and vote / post about ideas and features you'd like to see next.
 _GOTOTOP