History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
The Best Tank? - What do you think?
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 04, 2013 - 12:24 AM UTC
Any tank. Any era. Any reason.
blake_500ci
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 37 Posts
KitMaker Network: 6 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 04, 2013 - 12:36 AM UTC
King tiger cos its a beast
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,307 Posts
KitMaker Network: 788 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 04, 2013 - 12:38 AM UTC
It depends on the criteria you apply when deciding. For me it has to be the Centurion. From the late 1940s to the 1980s (with modification and updates) it remained an effective MBT for many nations, and was proven in conflicts all over the world.
It also served as a recovery vehicle, engineer's vehicle and special purpose chassis, and in Israeli service as the chassis for several troop carriers.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 04, 2013 - 01:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It depends on the criteria you apply when deciding. For me it has to be the Centurion. From the late 1940s to the 1980s (with modification and updates) it remained an effective MBT for many nations, and was proven in conflicts all over the world.
It also served as a recovery vehicle, engineer's vehicle and special purpose chassis, and in Israeli service as the chassis for several troop carriers.

No criteria. I would have to go with the Sherman, myself. It has been in use since 1942 to present and has been used worldwide. It may not have the thickest armor or most powerful gun, but what it lacks in these departments it makes up for in sheer numbers.
spacewolfdad
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 642 Posts
KitMaker Network: 43 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 04, 2013 - 11:46 AM UTC
In my opinion the 'Best Tank' accolade has to go to the T34. It was a sea change in tank design and set the standard for all tanks that followed. I don't particularly like this tank, but it must rate as one of the best, closely followed by the Panther. Which didn't exactly copy it as often cited, but did take on board the design innovations of the T34.

All the best,

Paul
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 4,691 Posts
KitMaker Network: 668 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 04, 2013 - 12:47 PM UTC
M1 Abrams,because its undefeated in tank vs tank combat.

But I'd be interested in how it stacks up with the T90 or the latest Chinese Tanks,any info on that?
Kelley
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 1,966 Posts
KitMaker Network: 297 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 04, 2013 - 01:02 PM UTC
There is no single best tank, a tank is only as good as it's crew. Put a well trained crew into an older/lesser tank and I'd take it any day over a newer/better tank with a poorly trained crew.

This question has come up before, here and elsewhere. There is no definitive answer, as there are a lot of variables. Matt, you said Sherman basically because of it's numbers, so you're going to pick a tank because there were more of them?? During the 6 Day war the IDF's Shermans performed well against newer more modern Soviet designs, but it didn't have a thing to do with it's numbers. It was because of the training of the IDF crews, plain & simple.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 04, 2013 - 01:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

There is no single best tank, a tank is only as good as it's crew. Put a well trained crew into an older/lesser tank and I'd take it any day over a newer/better tank with a poorly trained crew.

This question has come up before, here and elsewhere. There is no definitive answer, as there are a lot of variables. Matt, you said Sherman basically because of it's numbers, so you're going to pick a tank because there were more of them?? During the 6 Day war the IDF's Shermans performed well against newer more modern Soviet designs, but it didn't have a thing to do with it's numbers. It was because of the training of the IDF crews, plain & simple.

You are entitled to your opinion, just like everyone else. But, I don't see a Sherman taking out an Abrams, Leopard, or T-90. I'm not familiar enough with modern Chinese tanks to list them, in this line up.
Kelley
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 04, 2013 - 01:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

You are entitled to your opinion, just like everyone else. But, I don't see a Sherman taking out an Abrams, Leopard, or T-90. I'm not familiar enough with modern Chinese tanks to list them, in this line up.

Well according to what you said above, the Sherman is the best, are you changing your mind?

That's what I'm talking about, there are too many variables to just say "blank" is the best.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 04, 2013 - 02:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Well according to what you said above, the Sherman is the best, are you changing your mind?

That's what I'm talking about, there are too many variables to just say "blank" is the best.

In single tank combat, no. As I stated, the Sherman is better simply because there are more of them. Perhaps, you should reread your own post.
Kelley
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 04, 2013 - 02:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

the Sherman is better simply because there are more of them

Huh????

Do you actually read this stuff before you post it?? Forget it, it's plain you make up the "rules" as you go. Lol!
blake_500ci
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 37 Posts
KitMaker Network: 6 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 04, 2013 - 03:33 PM UTC
Wasnt this post supposed to be based on what everyone thinks is the best tank, u can think what ever u want but there is no need to force ur opnion down everybody elses throat, i could say the pz11 luchs, may not be your opnion but who cares, its not based on actual facts just if u like it or not, thats all no need to get ur knickers in a twist bloody hell. Just my opnion.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 04, 2013 - 07:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Wasnt this post supposed to be based on what everyone thinks is the best tank, u can think what ever u want but there is no need to force ur opnion down everybody elses throat, i could say the pz11 luchs, may not be your opnion but who cares, its not based on actual facts just if u like it or not, thats all no need to get ur knickers in a twist bloody hell. Just my opnion.

This thread was intended to spawn debates. I, for one, am not upset. The ironic thing is, I don't even like to build Shermans.
1721Lancers
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,673 Posts
KitMaker Network: 20 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 09, 2013 - 07:01 AM UTC
The Chieftain Mk8/9, I served on this mother and it´s not a
nice tank regarding engine failures or maintenance but I know it can take a hell of punch, and still keep punching
without any power supply.

Paul