_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Photoetch....how small is too small to solder
communityguy
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 493 Posts
KitMaker Network: 133 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 24, 2013 - 02:32 AM UTC
I'm curious what the best practice is for deciding how small is too small a photoetch part to try to solder. It dawned on me last night that this detail kit I'm working with hasn't prompted me to break out the iron yet. All super glue, all the time.

I'm still new at PE, so I'm wondering if I really should be thinking more about soldering some of these tiny pieces/assemblies.

Anyone have any advice on how to know when small PE is too small to solder?

Thanks!
Kitzilla
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 21 Posts
KitMaker Network: 13 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 24, 2013 - 08:33 AM UTC
I guess it really depends on your skills with soldering. I usually don't solder anything smaller than a tool clamp because I just can't keep my hands steady enough on that scale to do a decent soldering job.

I've seen people use microscopes to solder though, and if you can pull that off then more power to you.
communityguy
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 493 Posts
KitMaker Network: 133 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 24, 2013 - 08:49 AM UTC
Yikes! Yeah, I'm still new enough that I might be having to stick to glueing on the tiny stuff.

So speaking of glueing... what's the best type/brand to use on PE parts? I'm currently working with both a sheet of brass parts, as well as a silver sheet (don't think it's aluminum...??)

Thanks!
Kitzilla
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 21 Posts
KitMaker Network: 13 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 24, 2013 - 02:02 PM UTC
Most people just generally use CA glue/superglue for their PE. Gator Glue is another popular glue. It holds fast like CA, but there is some working time so your part isn't stuck instantly like it can be with some grades of CA.
 _GOTOTOP