_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
best books for a newbie
caireparavel
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 41 Posts
KitMaker Network: 11 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 18, 2013 - 06:30 AM UTC
I have Shepard paines' book " how to build dioramas " I think it was worth every cent .

Can anyone recommend any similar quality books as a must have for a newbie?

Specifically for making dioramas , painting figures and ww2 AFV's. I use only vallejo paint and do not own an air brush.

I have a barnes and noble $100 gift card so that is my limit thanks in advance.

retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 18, 2013 - 08:02 AM UTC
If it wasn't for the Barne's and Noble card, I would tell you to ask plenty of questions.
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 3,389 Posts
KitMaker Network: 625 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 18, 2013 - 09:14 AM UTC
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/206310

The other books from this series are also excellent. They will take you through each individual technique for building, painting and weathering.
spacewolfdad
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 642 Posts
KitMaker Network: 43 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 18, 2013 - 09:22 AM UTC
Hi Martin,

I don't know if you have 'remaindered' book shops in the US, but they are worth browsing as you can sometimes find an out of print book that is a valuable addition to your library. I would look out for Bill Horan's 'Military Modelling Masterclass' as this is a real inspiration for producing figures, vignettes and dioramas (his Gandamak diorama has to be seen to be believed). The Osprey series of books do several 'how to' guides and are reasonably priced, well worth looking at. I would also recommend going to a public library and looking up art books on the great painters to see how they handle group composition and scenery. You may also get inspiration for dioramas, soldiers no matter what era tend to be doing the same things, just the uniform and equipment change. Look on Ebay, I have had some good book bargains there as well.

Hope this helps,

All the best,

Paul
LuckyLuke
Visit this Community
Belgium
entire network: 40 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 18, 2013 - 01:52 PM UTC
Hi Martin,

One of the best how to books in my library are the two volumes of Lets build a diorama by Laslo Adoba published in 2009 by SBS Books.

His explanation of techniques is to the point and easy to follow with great results. Fun to experiment too. The materials he uses are quit cheap and are sometimes found among around our household waste (we modelers are great for recycling ).

Highly recommended,give them a look, you will not be disappointed!

Hope it helps,
best Luk
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 19, 2013 - 08:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

One of the best how to books in my library are the two volumes of Lets build a diorama by Laslo Adoba published in 2009 by SBS Books.

Agreed ... now its three books available and one more on the way. Recommended.
Another book which is worth its weight in gold is "Converting and detailing Plastic Figures" by Bill Chilstrom. To get the best out of your figures with simple technicques that are well explained, look no further than this book. I also like the Osprey Masterclass book "Terrain Modelling". These books with the Shep Paine book already mentioned, will take you a long long way.
caireparavel
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 41 Posts
KitMaker Network: 11 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 20, 2013 - 01:26 AM UTC
Thanks for all the replies much apreciated

Any idea where I can find Laszlo Adobe books for sale
I have tried everything but can't even find his homepage .

thanks
 _GOTOTOP