_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
1/35 pick up trucks...
Armor135
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 335 Posts
KitMaker Network: 101 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 21, 2003 - 04:52 AM UTC
Does any one know if there are any companies that make a cililian 1/35 pick up truck. I was looking for a more modern one, like the ones the Iraqi's are using with the 50cal. in the back.

any one hav any info.?

thanks,
Mike
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 21, 2003 - 05:14 AM UTC
There's not much in 1/35 scale.... There's a few in 1/32 scale though. Diecast is another option to look into. Try Ebay for Diecast stuff.
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 21, 2003 - 05:16 AM UTC
Someone is supposed to be bringing out an iraqi techincal I'm not sure if it's Academy or Trumpeter but i have seen it listed as coming on a web-site no idea of the time scale either I'm afraid
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 3,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 678 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 21, 2003 - 05:25 AM UTC
Or Ox carts,those were used today to launch missles.
cfbush2000
Visit this Community
North Dakota, United States
entire network: 1,796 Posts
KitMaker Network: 479 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 21, 2003 - 06:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Someone is supposed to be bringing out an iraqi techincal I'm not sure if it's Academy or Trumpeter but i have seen it listed as coming on a web-site no idea of the time scale either I'm afraid

I have that kit by HobbyCraft. It is a Chinese jeep mounting a recoilless rifle. I have seen some discussion on line of this kit. No one has any knowledge to the jeep being used as an Iraqi Technical vehicle.
The kit is nice enough, there is an engine, 5 soft, hollow tires and three figures (in military uniforms with tennis shoes, I've read that they are Chinese troops).
HTH
Chuck
ambrose82
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 249 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 21, 2003 - 12:05 PM UTC
Until some modelling company decides there's a market for Dioramists who want to put civilian vehicles in their models (HINT, HINT)... the only options are conversion or scratchbuilding.

I was thinking there could be business potential for some enterprising modellers who have the equipment and know-how to build forms for old cars and civilian conversions.

In fact, I was tooling the idea around in my own head. Is there a market for civilian vehicles in 1/35? I'm talking european theater and modern guerrilla stuff?
Jaster
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 579 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 21, 2003 - 03:55 PM UTC
This is one of my favorite topics! There is a HUGE need for 1/35 civilian vehicles of all sorts! Modern combat includes modern civilian vehicles, sometimes as combatants (technicals, car bombers) sometimes as innocent bystanders!

There are a few (very few) kits that seem to have some possibility for this...Ertl/AMT has a couple of 1/32 "Monster Truck" snap kits, a Ford F-150 and a Chevy fullsize P/U. Both of these will provide a reasonable body shell and nothing, I mean NOTHING more.

Revell has a Chevy Malibu police car and Firetruck. I have seen a Semi and trailer kit as well... All of these are 1/32.

There is a German outfit that has a 1/35 vacuform VW Rabbit... that's about it as far as I know.

I am currently RE-building the Ford F-150 Ertl/AMT Monster truck into an American Guntruck/Technical (see the T2K thread under Campaigns for more info). It scaled out pretty accurately at 1/32 which made it 10% too big for 1/35 so I have sliced and diced it to the correct dimensions. If you go this route (the Chevy P/U seems like a logical candidate for a Technical) you will have to build a LOT from scratch. Bed, interior, suspension, wheel wells and the list goes on. BUT it can be done (I think)!

Hope this rambling post helps! I REALLY hope the manufacturers take a look at the photos of modern conflict and see that civilian vehicles ARE a part of the landscape!!
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 02:50 AM UTC
Howdy Jaster,

(I thought you might pipe in here ) Got a question for you. You say you saw a 1/32nd scale tractor trailer rig? Can you remember which manufacturer?

Tread.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 17,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,968 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 06:51 AM UTC
Treadhead,
AMT/ERTL used to make a tractor/trailer combo. It had Volvo tractor and reefer trailer. I got it a while back as a plain kit, I've also seen it as a Coca Cola truck. Monogram used to make a series of racing hauler truck/trailer combo. Monogram also made a series of 1/32nd tractors as well. And many moons ago, Monogram made a 1/32nd Texaco fuel tanker trailer too. In both AMT/ERTL and Revell-Monogram catalogs, none of the abve are listed, sorry. You can still find them in some hobby shops and may find them on Ebay. I agree about needing more civilian vehicles in 1/35th scale. I use many 1/32nd scale vehicles in my modern dios. They are close enough to scale for me. If you look here , you will see a Dio with a M728 CEV that has a land cruiser in it that started life as a Tamiya 1/32nd mini racer body. After much scratch building, and a land rover frame and interior pan, it came out pretty good.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 10:21 AM UTC
Howdy HeavyArty,

Many thx Gino for the info. I was trying to find out for a couple of reasons. One; I am thinking of using one in a T2K dio of mine, and Second; I was thinking along the lines of a 'Mad Max' application.
Our fine member 'Yoda' was trying to get a Sci-Fi Campaign going and I was thinking of all that good modeling 'fodder' from the trio of films. The Mongram Texaco fuel tanker would be superb as the rig they drive at the end of the 'Mad Max' wouldn't it? But then, if it's a totally seperate build-up, the scale's would only have to match themselve's......

Tread.

BTW, thx for the link to the Land Cruiser, great looking dio. One question tho', was that Geraldo Rivera I saw with the microphone!?! #:-)
Jaster
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 579 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 04:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

(I thought you might pipe in here ) Got a question for you. You say you saw a 1/32nd scale tractor trailer rig? Can you remember which manufacturer?

You were right Tread

I think it was the Coca Cola set that Heavy Arty mentioned...I think Great Lakes Hobbies had it. I am not suer if they have a website. I'll check and post it if they do.

It just seems plain odd to me that the manufacturers completely ignore this part of the market. 1/35 IS a standard. It seems odd to ignore this potential market. I bet a line of 1/35 civilian vehicles, well detailed, well done and broad in appeal, would do very well.
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 07:15 PM UTC
Armour,
is this any good?
bf443
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
entire network: 895 Posts
KitMaker Network: 135 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 23, 2003 - 01:01 PM UTC
I seem to recall that Monogram at one time had a S-10 pickup in 1/32 scale. That was years ago but maybe E-bay is a possibility. There sure is a need for some non military vehicles.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 24, 2003 - 11:55 AM UTC
How about one of those big Mercedes cars with the Dual axles in32nd/35th scale. Aybody see something like that?
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, November 24, 2003 - 02:34 PM UTC

Yeah blaster.....in a previous life, in Berlin. #:-)

a joke.

Tread.
mlb63
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 355 Posts
KitMaker Network: 199 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 04:17 PM UTC
you might want to try the italeri land rover its a civilian model 1/35 scale and left hand drive.
SEDimmick
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 1,745 Posts
KitMaker Network: 221 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 26, 2003 - 02:47 PM UTC
Part of the problem with getting Modern Civilian vechicles is that often the Corporations slap down fines on the vechicles or what not for another company using their likeness. I know when Accurate Armour was coming out with its Land Rover vechicles they had to go through alot of hoops to put their name on the box. Some of the stuff I heard that they requested was reasonable, but getting a offical licence for the vechicle can be a pain in the butt.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 17,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,968 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 04, 2003 - 11:22 AM UTC
Treadhead,
Found a truck model site that shows the 1/32nd scale tractor trailer in Coca Cola livery in stock. Here is the link: 1/32 Coca Cola Tractor Trailer
RotorHead67
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,174 Posts
KitMaker Network: 161 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 05, 2003 - 06:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Our fine member 'Yoda' was trying to get a Sci-Fi Campaign going and I was thinking of all that good modeling 'fodder' from the trio of films. The Mongram Texaco fuel tanker would be superb as the rig they drive at the end of the 'Mad Max' wouldn't it? But then, if it's a totally seperate build-up, the scale's would only have to match themselve's......

Tread.

The exact type build you are refering to was done and published in a Fine scale Modeler magazine issue.
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 532 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 05, 2003 - 08:48 AM UTC

In fact, there are SEVERAL good kits out there in 1/32 if you're willing to do some scratchbuilding. Tamiya has a series of pickups with ridiculously large tires, but the truck part is quite well made and certainly worth working with.

Check this topic !

I tried the chevvy blazer. Though I'm not finished, it starts to look very much like a REAL CUCV. I keep you posted when I get further with this...

I advise you raid the local model store and peak inside these kits boxes and decide which one suits you the best !

ekaufman
Visit this Community
Haifa, Israel
entire network: 217 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2003 - 09:50 PM UTC
Hi General,
any pictures to show you progress yet?
i'm trying to figure out a work plan for the conversion of that tamiya picup too
eran
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
entire network: 12,719 Posts
KitMaker Network: 69 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 07, 2003 - 12:37 AM UTC
Just to add a little contribution :
I've recently bought one (well 2 in fact ) 1993 Police Chevrolet Suburban die-cast model made by Superior. It's not 1/32, it's 1/36 ! Close enough eh . It's quite detailed and doesn't seem to need a lot of work. I have planned to turn it into a civilian vehicle but any suggestion (or picture) is welcome. I know that these Suburbans are often used by UN personnel or humanitarian organizations but I was wondering is the US army uses them as well (a CUCV on steroids...).
I have found mine on : http://www.policecarmodels.com (where it is wrongly labelled as being 1/34...)
HTH
Frenchy
 _GOTOTOP