_GOTOBOTTOM
Photography
Questions about shooting your models and dioramas? Ask here.
2 Mega Pixels Not Enough?
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 21, 2003 - 03:29 AM UTC
With the event of cams which are capable of 4-6 MP's, will 2 MP enough for shooting the model? What do you think? As for me, I'll be satisfied with 2 MP based from the pics I've seen.
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 2,606 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 21, 2003 - 04:02 AM UTC
To post your pics on the Web I'd say that 2mp is more than enough. It becomes important to have white ballancing and macro functions or the possibility to use add-on lenses for shoot at details...
Ciao
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 1,561 Posts
KitMaker Network: 485 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 21, 2003 - 05:25 AM UTC
I'll second Soccia.
2 megapixels has been enough for me so far... But macro lens capability is an absolute must.

The good thing about digital photos is the ability to do all of the color correction / brightness and contrast on the computer.

Only one drawback to 2 mexpixels that I can think of - If you have some extremely small details on your model that you want to bring out, the subject must be a certain distance away from the camera in order for a proper focus. The end result will mean a slightly smaller detail image. (now, it's not a major thing. For tanks you'll be fine, I'm talking about seeing the stitches on the clothing of figures.)

YodaMan
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 21, 2003 - 07:20 AM UTC
The pictures posted here https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/20573&page=1 " TARGET="_blank"> https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/20573&page=1 are taken with a Sony FD95 2.1 megapixel camera at LESS maximum resolution. A good macro is more crucial is photographing fine detail. This particualr camera will allow me to get within half an inch or so of a subject.
Grasshopp12
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 757 Posts
KitMaker Network: 205 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 21, 2003 - 08:04 AM UTC
A 2 MP camera will allow you to shoot good quality 5x7 inch prints, and photo quality 4x6 inch prints. In terms of posting pics online, it will be more than sufficient. As the others said, make sure the camera has good macro mode and white balancing and you should be all set.
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 12:40 AM UTC
AJ, that work was very well done! Thanks guys for the info! Now I can push my dad to buy me a PDA with 2 MP's
 _GOTOTOP