_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: Filipino Modelers Phorum
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
Accurate Miniatures
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 21, 2003 - 02:56 AM UTC
Have anyone tried this model? Grabe, mahal nya. I wanted to buy the SBD-5 (yeah, try WWII this time) pero yung price nya sobrang mahal for a kit. 1/48 for 1500? Mas mura pa ata yung Tamiya 1/35 T-72 ko kaysa dito. Pag tinignan mo yung box, ang laki nya for a 1/48. Any info would do.

Thanks!
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, November 21, 2003 - 04:23 AM UTC
Ok I get it. Done a little research. These darn kits are replicated to the max! Fully detailed interior, movable flaps! Astig! Kaya pala mahal at malaki yung box. Daming parts sa loob. Wish they produce the Harrier! It will definitely a big catch!
BigMan
Visit this Community
Luzon, Philippines
entire network: 34 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 04, 2003 - 05:24 AM UTC
Yup, Accurate Miniature models are quite expensive:_| . Their aim is to produce models that will look great when completed without adding any additional details. As you've posted ealier 'These darn kits are replicated to the max! Fully detailed interior, movable flaps'. Indeed they are! I already built their TBM-3 Avenger. After checking out the Avenger Detail and Scale, the only detail I did add without going superdetail is the seatbelt! (actually, its also included, but as a decal!.. Fit for the Avenger is superb.

For the SBD-3/5, the level of detail is the same as the Avenger. If you ask me, I'd rather buy this kit than any of Hasegawa's SBD range, which is almost the same cost (or a bit cheaper). It may be a good kit, but will need a lot of improvement and additional detail (aftermarket parts) to rival Accurate Miniature's quality. Case in point will the the Dauntless' dive flaps. Considering this is one of the major characteristics of the Dauntless, this was reproduced by Hasegawa without much detail. Even the perforations on the dive brakes has to be drilled out! With the Accurate Miniature kit, all details were included and you even have the option to pose it open or closed. Ask Bull and Buck, they should know!

Where did you find the SBD-5 kit? I heard Accurate Models in SM Southmall is selling Accurate Miniature kits. The Avenger kit (I think Chopper got the whole stock for the Gambier Bay project!) sells at P 1200+, so I guess the SBD kits will probably cost the same.

Cheers!
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,612 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,129 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 04, 2003 - 10:23 PM UTC
I don't want to spend on a lot of money on an otherwise excellent kit and goof up badly while building it (bad cuts, glue on the panel lines, accidental-sanding-off-of-detail, and other mistakes). Unfortunately, I'm guilty of doing all of the above ESPECIALLY WHEN IT COMES TO AIRCRAFT MODELS!

Hence, I stick to armor! Very forgiving.
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, December 04, 2003 - 11:39 PM UTC
Hello and welcome to Armorama Big Man! Yep at Accurate in Southmall. I think it costs 1.5k Wish they do Harriers! I'll get 'em really bad!
BigMan
Visit this Community
Luzon, Philippines
Posted: Friday, December 05, 2003 - 06:33 PM UTC
Thanks Shonen.

So you like the Harrier... If you're ready to build one, I have references for Royal Navy FRS.1 Harriers used in the Falkland War. Also pictures of US Marines AV-8B aboard the Tarawa when they visited Manila. I can lend them to you, if you're interested.

But if you want to try your hands on 1/48th aircraft, I suggest you try WW2 Tamiya kits. The fit and detail is very good that you can minimize 'bad cuts, glue on the panel lines, accidental-sanding-off-of-detail, and other mistakes' . Best of all, the price is very reasonable. Suggested kits: P-51D Mustang and Spitfire Mk.I

Thanks again.
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,612 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,129 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 05, 2003 - 08:49 PM UTC
Oh yeah, I forgot sorry...

Welcome also Big Man! Do post at the "Our Fropiles" thread.
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, December 05, 2003 - 10:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Shonen.

So you like the Harrier... If you're ready to build one, I have references for Royal Navy FRS.1 Harriers used in the Falkland War. Also pictures of US Marines AV-8B aboard the Tarawa when they visited Manila. I can lend them to you, if you're interested.

But if you want to try your hands on 1/48th aircraft, I suggest you try WW2 Tamiya kits. The fit and detail is very good that you can minimize 'bad cuts, glue on the panel lines, accidental-sanding-off-of-detail, and other mistakes' . Best of all, the price is very reasonable. Suggested kits: P-51D Mustang and Spitfire Mk.I

Thanks again.

Yep, actually I already have kits in my mind. Corsair, Zero Fighter, BF-109G and SBD's
Bull
Visit this Community
entire network: 114 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2003 - 01:49 AM UTC
Those Accurate Miniature kits are superb. The current group build of IPMS Phils.-BAC is the USS Gambier Bay in 1/48th scale. It needs a complement of 18 Wildcat FM-2s and 12 TBM-1C Avengers. I volunteered to build one of the Avengers and believe me, the kit is fantastic! Practically everything is there as compared to photos in Detail and Scale. Pangit lang talaga ang instructions. Accurate Miniatures has closed shop already, but I believe some of the existing model companies like Italeri have bought their molds. Let's hope the price of the line-up goes down. Bigman will be building his Avenger with the wings folded. Not me, I'm not that skilled. So mine will depict an aircraft ready for takeoff. Kelan kaya matatapos yang project na yan?
BigMan
Visit this Community
Luzon, Philippines
Posted: Monday, December 08, 2003 - 04:01 AM UTC
GIBeregovoy: Ok, will do...

Bull: Kelan matatapos yung Gambier Bay? In due time :-) I hope by late next year!! #:-)
 _GOTOTOP