_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Cyano glue and brushes?
Kurmark
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 27 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 08, 2013 - 11:15 AM UTC
Hi,question for ya'll!I've used cyano glue for donkey's years but I've never applied it with a brush.I have some thin cyano that I would like to apply between two FINE pieces of photoetch,and thought I might use a very fine brush and take advantage of the glue's capillary action.Will the brush be toast or can it be cleaned?Most of my really fine brushes are somewhat exspensive!I'm gluing the photo etched spokes of GWHs BMW R75 together before wheel assembly.Any thoughts? Many Thanks,Murray McLennan
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 10,954 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,873 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 08, 2013 - 12:34 PM UTC
I would use a toothpick as a brush will set solid as I know of no easy way of cleaning superglue off of something afterwards.
c5flies
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 3,684 Posts
KitMaker Network: 411 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 08, 2013 - 03:04 PM UTC
Hi Murray, debonder may work to clean the brush although I have never tried it. Instead of risking an expensive fine point brush try an old airbrush needle, sewing needle or straight pin. Even fine wire works very well, especially if you chuck it into a pin vise. All are very low cost.

A few PE applicators are also available (Voyager is one company) and come in multi packs, something like 10 applicators each. These have a pointed end with a notch cut in them to draw/hold the cyano and, in theory, release it when touched to the parts to be glued. I say in theory since I've had mixed luck with these! These are cleaned by burning off the dried adhesive.

Personally, I've had the best luck with wire (just snip the end off when dried glue builds up) and an old airbrush needle (burn the build up off).
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
entire network: 2,247 Posts
KitMaker Network: 718 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2013 - 04:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi,question for ya'll!I've used cyano glue for donkey's years but I've never applied it with a brush.I have some thin cyano that I would like to apply between two FINE pieces of photoetch,and thought I might use a very fine brush and take advantage of the glue's capillary action.Will the brush be toast or can it be cleaned?Most of my really fine brushes are somewhat exspensive!I'm gluing the photo etched spokes of GWHs BMW R75 together before wheel assembly.Any thoughts? Many Thanks,Murray McLennan

Hey there Murray,

I use the disposable Micro Brushes for CA, you can usually get a couple of uses before the CA gets built up on the brush tip too much, but then the brush tip itself can be pulled off, which leaves a fairly fine plastic point, which can also be used to place CA where you want it.

Regular: http://www.elmcityhobbies.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14_17&products_id=364

Fine: http://www.elmcityhobbies.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14_17&products_id=365

Super Fine: http://www.elmcityhobbies.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14_17&products_id=366
Anmoga
Visit this Community
Spain / España
entire network: 456 Posts
KitMaker Network: 87 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2013 - 02:50 PM UTC
Hi Murray,

You can clean cyano glue with acetone.

Don't use acetone on plastic because it will affect it.

Best regards,
Angel
horsetank
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 113 Posts
KitMaker Network: 76 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2013 - 12:01 AM UTC
I use a tooth pick or a safety pin, like the ones that come on new shirts that have a ball at the end so you can manipulate better
 _GOTOTOP