_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Im a N00b
Darthshearer
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 4 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 19, 2003 - 07:27 AM UTC
Hi there

Im new to modelling and Im so eager to get started, but I thought I would ask some of you vets a few questions.

Firstly I would like to detail anything military from WW2 up to the present day really.

My questions are probably the basic Newbies questions.
1) What models are the best to start on?
2) What is the basic euipment needed (paints etc)
3) Are there any books that help?
4) Any other informative webbys?

Also whilst looking at some of the diormas, I have notcied soldiers and other personnel on these, that seem to have specific stances towards the diorma. Are these bought, or just made by the modeller?

Thanks very much, all feed back is very much appreciated.
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 19, 2003 - 07:35 AM UTC
Welcome to the site!!!

Here's something on tools: Modelers Toolbox

For other useful links check out the Links on the HomePage!!
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 19, 2003 - 10:52 AM UTC
Darthshearer,
With a name like that your from Newcastle eh? :-) try and pick up a book
by Phil Greenwood called military vehicle modelling isbn no 1-86126-557-3 this will
put you on the right tracks to starting off with building /painting/weathering ect it costs £16.99 unless you can find it 2nd hand Terry Ashley and Shep paine also do good books
covering basic construction and painting try searching on Amazon or waterstones for these books. Also go to your local model shop not ones like toymaster ect they will almost certainly help you out with kitting you out with what you need ect and advise you what to buy maybe twig can help you out to a good shop nere you as he's from your neck of the woods,
as for kits it's pretty much up to yourself what you want to buy if I were you I'd go for some of the cheaper tamyia kits they are a little old but are about the easiest to build and practice on but thats up to you :-) and use this site alot you will get really useful advice on all aspects of your modelling here also try the bargin book shops as you can find good books on tanks/planes ect for very little
as for the figures you've seen some maybe made of plastic,resin,white metal,and may have been altered/scratch built to get that particular pose

hope this helps you soom what any more questions just ask advice is always free :-) :-)
:-) :-)
RotorHead67
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,174 Posts
KitMaker Network: 161 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 19, 2003 - 03:33 PM UTC
DARTH,
Mike125 has some very good tips and ideas. He's got them all right !
And the Ashley and Paine books have been released from Kalmbach books again, so they shouldn't be to difficult to find. As the choice of kits.......it all depends how DEEP you want to jump. I would try just kits,before I try Dioramas. MASTER the basics first, the rest will come w/ time and experiance.
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
entire network: 6,871 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 19, 2003 - 07:30 PM UTC
Yep i d agree with Todd. Follow the basics even if you finden boring (that u should not) build some 3-4 simple models out of the box or with just few eawsy modifications experiment on painting which is difficult and a very basic step and after this you can go to more difficult builds and small dioramas and all these. i d say after hmmmm22-23 years of modelling that books are very good friends to modellers and the useful tools are always needed. I dont agree with people say that only the talen is enough . the more and the better tools help the talent to show up. Also try to read a lot and look how experienced modellers use everyday materials for scratchbuilding and detailing at almost no cost. Have eyes and ears open and mouth close ..so you dont eat any barrels heheheh
hope u have a nice start , i suggest u start with armor in 1/35 some simple tanks will help and they have enough volume and work to keep your interest high.
Any question you should put here will be answered fast and accurate by a lot of guys that really wanna help
Have a good modellers life my friend
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 19, 2003 - 07:57 PM UTC
Experiment with several different kinds of kits. Some love to build cars, some planes, some ships, most of us like Tanks best. Initially, buy some basic "How to" modeling books. My advice too is to go to a true Hobby shop. You can get some great books there and see a wealth of great model kits there. Go to the discount places and buy several cheap kits to find your niche. Most of all, HAVE FUN WITH IT
Darthshearer
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, November 19, 2003 - 08:10 PM UTC
Firstly mikeli125 No, Im from Leeds But yes its the mighty Toon

Thanks for all the tips guys and hopefully I shall be seeing a lot more of you on this board

brandydoguk
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,495 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 19, 2003 - 11:42 PM UTC
Hi Darthshearer, you have found the best site on the net for advice on model building. I've sent you a PM about a book that could help. If you don't have any good model shops in Leeds I would suggest a trip to Halifax to check out the Halifax Modellers World in the Piece Hall. It is a fantastic shop and the guys are modellers themselves so would be able to give you all the advice you could want.
Twig
Visit this Community
entire network: 167 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 12:39 AM UTC
Welcome aboard Darth! Are you going to the Nationals this weekend?

Lee
Darthshearer
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 12:42 AM UTC
Thanks for the PM I only know of one model shop in Leeds, apart form Gamesworkshop really. I may pop over to the 'Fax this weekend then

What is this about the nationals? Hmm sounds good where can I get info?
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 01:26 AM UTC
Along with what everyone else said, try to find a local club. You'll see a variety of models and skill levels up close. If the group is at all good, you should be able to get hands on tips from these guys to learn the basics and move forward. Truth be told, this is a lifelong learning experience.
 _GOTOTOP