_GOTOBOTTOM
Photography
Questions about shooting your models and dioramas? Ask here.
Helicon Focus
BillGorm
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 609 Posts
KitMaker Network: 120 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 29, 2013 - 01:39 PM UTC
Has anyone used this software? I've been building ships rather than armor lately and I'm intrigued by its potential to create clear composite photos of 1/350 subjects. And for anyone who has experience with it, am I right that you can shoot untethered and then simply download via USB cable?
BillGorm
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 609 Posts
KitMaker Network: 120 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 28, 2013 - 04:00 AM UTC
I test drove Helicon Focus this weekend and wanted to share my "experimental" photos for those who might be interested. I just set my camera (Nikon D3100) on a tripod with a photography lamp to either side and used the pips in the viewfinder to take 8-10 photos (each focused on a different area). Then I saved the images to my computer, loaded them into Helicon Focus, and 20 seconds later I had a clearer image than I was able to get using autofocus achieve.

This might be more applicable to ship modeling, but it would come in handy when trying to take clear photos of, say, a King Tiger with a long barrel.

Photo #1 - Taken with the camera on autofocus:

Photo #2 - The composite image from Helicon Focus:

communityguy
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 493 Posts
KitMaker Network: 133 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 24, 2013 - 03:34 PM UTC
I downloaded the app this week and tried it out. I'm still playing, but overall I'm very, very impressed. It's hard to tell with the bad lighting, but here's the non-focus stacked image:

And here's a few with the focus stacking:

With the quick lighting setup, and with the image scaled down, it's hard to see the difference, but it's there for sure. Very nice software!
easyco69
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 2,275 Posts
KitMaker Network: 42 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 08, 2014 - 12:49 AM UTC
Are you talking about using a photography "app" with your cell phone camera?
HDSC2D
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 170 Posts
KitMaker Network: 11 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 08, 2014 - 02:52 AM UTC
Helicon Focus is a great program, One of the guys who works at Model Railroading did an article about the program and uses it for many shots in the magazine. Here's a picture I took with my "old" Nikon D70 6 megapixel camera.
" TARGET="_blank">http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/mikek92888/media/M42_zps2428fe1d.jpg.html]
 _GOTOTOP