_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
SS uniform Color at Kharkov 1943
rdleis
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 55 Posts
KitMaker Network: 23 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 28, 2013 - 09:46 AM UTC
Hi all,
Long time lurker, first time poster! I am going to try my hand at diorama making for the first time. I want to depict an SS Stug and some Grenadiers near Kharkov during the winter of 1943. My question for you experts is: what were the colors of the winter uniforms they were wearing? I've seen them depicted as grey, green-grey and even tan. Sometimes in white pants, sometimes not. Even the Dragon kit I purchased is confusing and depicts the uniforms in several color variants. Any clarification would be most appreciated, and any hints for paint company/colors would be wonderful!
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 28, 2013 - 10:03 AM UTC
First off, I'm no expert. However, I believe that the uniforms varied between units, companies, etc. I depended on the particular soldier, as well.
rdleis
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 55 Posts
KitMaker Network: 23 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 29, 2013 - 02:54 AM UTC
So perhaps it is a matter of production variations, and who gets distributed which versions among the troops?
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 29, 2013 - 05:47 AM UTC
I really feel out of my depth, here. Another thing to consider is that clothes could be stripped off of a soul that no longer has a use for them.
Jessie_C
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 6,965 Posts
KitMaker Network: 609 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 29, 2013 - 05:50 AM UTC
When you're at the end of a long supply line, in fluid combat, in the midst of the worst winter in about 50 years, I doubt that much attention would be paid to what you're wearing beyond the answer to the question "Is it warm?"
 _GOTOTOP