_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Recommended Putty?
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 21, 2013 - 10:09 AM UTC
I'm am a faithful user of auto body putty. I've also used Squadron. What type of putty do you prefer and why?
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,094 Posts
KitMaker Network: 134 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 21, 2013 - 11:13 PM UTC
Personally I usually go for Magic Sculp if I need to re-shape something or fill gaps of more than a 1mm or so. Its especially useful for small areas on figures. To fill small straight gaps and the very smallest gaps I tend to use Vallejo Putty- it comes in a squeezy eyedropper and is a bit like toothpaste- it can be wiped away while still wet and dries quite quick, handy if you don't want to be waiting a day or so for putty to dry.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 21, 2013 - 11:38 PM UTC
Do either of these shrink, while drying?
Pytagoras
Visit this Community
Møre og Romsdal, Norway
entire network: 300 Posts
KitMaker Network: 15 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 22, 2013 - 05:27 AM UTC
I've recently started using this one:

Perfect Putty
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Friday, March 22, 2013 - 06:01 AM UTC
I'll give that a try.
Was it Vallejo, I heard that set to a plastic-like consistency?
Emeritus
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
entire network: 2,845 Posts
KitMaker Network: 424 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 22, 2013 - 07:27 AM UTC
I use mostly Squadron's white and green putties for general puttying. Solvent-based, can be thinned with liquid cement, known to cause cancer and birth defects in the state of California, the traditional stuff. (on a side note, even airbrush parts I've ordered online have had that California warning, so I wouldn't be alarmed...)

I've tried Vallejo, and while it seems okay otherwise, it has the disadvantage of not being solvent-based, meaning it's adhesion suffers - it doesn't have that same "bite." The eyedropper bottle (same as with vallejo paints) is handy first, but when you run low, it becomes harder to squeeze out the putty. They also sell (or at least when I last checked, which is some time ago) the putty in a more conventional tube, which would seem to be more convenient to me.

Though I haven't tried Magic Sculpt myself, I've understood it's a two-part epoxy putty similar to Milliput? Milliput I have been using for stuff like what Karl mentioned, and it doesn't seem to shrink.

For smoothing small gaps and surface defects, take a look at Gunze's Mr. Surfacer liquid putty/filler/primer. They make three grades of coarseness (500 is roughest, 1000 is smooth, and 1200 smoothest).

retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Friday, March 22, 2013 - 09:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I use mostly Squadron's white and green putties for general puttying. Solvent-based, can be thinned with liquid cement, known to cause cancer and birth defects in the state of California, the traditional stuff. (on a side note, even airbrush parts I've ordered online have had that California warning, so I wouldn't be alarmed...)

I've tried Vallejo, and while it seems okay otherwise, it has the disadvantage of not being solvent-based, meaning it's adhesion suffers - it doesn't have that same "bite." The eyedropper bottle (same as with vallejo paints) is handy first, but when you run low, it becomes harder to squeeze out the putty. They also sell (or at least when I last checked, which is some time ago) the putty in a more conventional tube, which would seem to be more convenient to me.

Though I haven't tried Magic Sculpt myself, I've understood it's a two-part epoxy putty similar to Milliput? Milliput I have been using for stuff like what Karl mentioned, and it doesn't seem to shrink.

For smoothing small gaps and surface defects, take a look at Gunze's Mr. Surfacer liquid putty/filler/primer. They make three grades of coarseness (500 is roughest, 1000 is smooth, and 1200 smoothest).

Thanks for the heads up on Vallejo putty.
I have had some trouble, in trying to source Mr. Surfacer. It seems that it is always on back order or sold out.

I don't generally have gaps greater than 1mm. If I do, I find that with careful manipulation of styrene strip and auto body putty it can be filled.
Karl187
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, March 23, 2013 - 12:45 AM UTC
Eetu is right about the non-solvent base of the Vallejo Putty, but I still find it handy- its easy to clean up I must say- a damp cloth or a cotton bud will sort out any over-spill. And yes Eetu- Magic Sculp is a two-part epoxy like Milliput only much finer and, in my opinion, easier to work with than Milliput.

I can't say I've ever experienced shrinking with Magic Sculp but on the odd occasion you get a kind of sinking from the Vallejo putty where it kind of sinks down into a gap and you have to apply more to get it level.

I would recommend trying to get your hands on some Mr. Surfacer 500 and 1000- it is useful for more than just filling very small gaps- you can use it to texturize many things- like adding a concrete texture to a wall or perhaps a cast texture to a turret.

Oh yeah, and before I forget, Mr. Dissolved Putty is also pretty good- I tend to use it for small seam lines and it sands nicely when dry.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 23, 2013 - 04:32 AM UTC
Found Mr. Surfacer, on Amazon.
Jonmarin
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 17 Posts
KitMaker Network: 8 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 12, 2013 - 11:48 PM UTC
Milliput for me. Easily available in the UK, & I like the fact it is workable wet. I tried another 2 part epoxy when I got back into the hobby, Greenstuff, but that is too sticky for me & doesn't seem to like being worked with water.
chumpo
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 749 Posts
KitMaker Network: 225 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 13, 2013 - 12:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

try sealmodel.com for the mr hobby products.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 13, 2013 - 09:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Thank you, Edmund.
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 6,188 Posts
KitMaker Network: 193 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 13, 2013 - 11:55 PM UTC
Is there a better product than the Tamiya putty (#87053) I am using?

I was using the usual green and white stuff and found it too course and grainy and the Tamiya putty takes too long (overnight) to dry.

'TANKS' a lot for the advice!

~ Jeff
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 14, 2013 - 12:01 AM UTC
I currently use Squadron white putty and auto body putty. You can thin the auto body putty, with water.
Thudius
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
entire network: 1,194 Posts
KitMaker Network: 96 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 14, 2013 - 02:25 AM UTC
Perfect Putty over Vallejo, with similar experiences as others have said. I'm trying out Citadel's Liquid Green Stuff on my current build for minor touch ups. So far it's looking better than both of the above. I'll know more when I get a sanding test done.

Kimmo
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 6,188 Posts
KitMaker Network: 193 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 14, 2013 - 07:33 AM UTC
Anyone try Gunze MR. WHITE PUTTY, #P118 before?

~ Jeff
tskross
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 160 Posts
KitMaker Network: 7 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 06:53 AM UTC
Magicsculpt all the way for me, I use it for filling gaps, converting figures, even some minor figure sculpting (although I'm not that good!) And I like that you can clean it up with water (before it hardens of course!) Definitely no shrinkage either.

Does anyone have any suggestion for something that can fill tiny gaps and also serve as a sort of smoothing agent? For instance to help smooth out a rough sanded surface or as a finishing layer on a sculpted piece? I'm thinking something that can be brushed would be best.
I'm wondering if mr surface would work?
Thanks!
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 07:35 AM UTC
I've got a big old tube of Auto body putty. it's about 10x the size of squadron putty for 2x the price
chumpo
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 12:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Thank you, Edmund.

n

Did you ever check out the site ?
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 01:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Thank you, Edmund.

n

I believe I did. It has been some time. Sorry for no replies. I just found out that someone hacked my e-mail and spammed everything from the forum. I'm still using auto body putty, but have Mr. Dissolved Putty and Mr. Surfacer 1200 on order.
Karl187
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 11:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Magicsculpt all the way for me, I use it for filling gaps, converting figures, even some minor figure sculpting (although I'm not that good!) And I like that you can clean it up with water (before it hardens of course!) Definitely no shrinkage either.

Does anyone have any suggestion for something that can fill tiny gaps and also serve as a sort of smoothing agent? For instance to help smooth out a rough sanded surface or as a finishing layer on a sculpted piece? I'm thinking something that can be brushed would be best.
Thanks!

Mr. Surfacer woould suit your needs I think. If you want to fill tiny gaps and then sand it then Mr. Dissolved Putty is a decent product.
tskross
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 160 Posts
KitMaker Network: 7 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 01:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Thanks!

Mr. Surfacer woould suit your needs I think. If you want to fill tiny gaps and then sand it then Mr. Dissolved Putty is a decent product.

Great! Thanks for the answer. I was also wondering about mr dissolved putty...a good use for this as well?
chumpo
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 03:45 AM UTC
Most putty's will dissolve with Tamiya lacquer thinner , in essence you can make your own version of mr dissolve putty . Only thing to watch out for is how much it will shrink during the drying process .
chumpo
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 03:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Thank you, Edmund.

n

I believe I did. It has been some time. Sorry for no replies. I just found out that someone hacked my e-mail and spammed everything from the forum. I'm still using auto body putty, but have Mr. Dissolved Putty and Mr. Surfacer 1200 on order.

There are Mr Surfacer 1500 both in black and grey both in spray and bottle . There is also a Mr Oxide Red Surfacer 1000 this is only in a spray can right now and is a close match for the German red oxide primer .
Karl187
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 04:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Thanks!

Great! Thanks for the answer. I was also wondering about mr dissolved putty...a good use for this as well?

Yeah Mr. Dissolved Putty will fill small gaps and sands nicely- but it won't give you the surface coverage like Mr. Surfacer. You can, as others have said, make a similar thing yourself- its just handy to have ready mixed in a tub. Vallejo Putty is also worth a look- it has the consitency of toothpaste, comes in an eye-dropper bottle and will easily fill small gaps and sands nicely- but it isn't as durable as other putty types.
 _GOTOTOP