History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
Wtd 1hr Doco on the causes of WW2.
chris1
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
entire network: 949 Posts
KitMaker Network: 129 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 11, 2013 - 11:11 AM UTC
Hi All
Hope you help.
My teenage nephew is going a War phase.
In particular German Eg;makes comments re Nazi models (aircraft tanks not referring to them as Army airforce etc).
The impression I'm getting he has little or no understanding of WW2 how it started and how terrible it was.
He is not particularly academic so I thought I'd lend him the BBC series The World at War.
But I'd like to also show him how the End of WW1 and the Versailles treaty led to WW2.

Any ideas?

Chris
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 2,191 Posts
KitMaker Network: 357 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 11, 2013 - 12:46 PM UTC
Winston Churchill's 1st book in his "The Second World War" series gives a great explanation...The problem is....

... it's about 600 pages, and talks a fair bit about British domestic politics. You have to 'want' to read it.

He could always start with this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Causes_of_World_War_II

Another idea if you want him to really think about the human toll of World War II. Have him look up the casualties, including civilians of some of the countries and areas that got caught between Germany and Russia, or China. Have him extrapolate how many deaths that would be with today's population of his neighborhood, city, country, etc.
spacewolfdad
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 642 Posts
KitMaker Network: 43 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 12, 2013 - 01:00 AM UTC
Hi Chris,

The BBC series is really good for educating young people how, what and why the Second World War was such a cataclysmic event. However it is mainly in black and white, young people don't respond to monochrome as well as colour and you might want to try this series as well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JNq2zJYiJk

The opening sequence should be enough to show that it was not a fun time for folks.

All the best,

Paul