_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
For the Lens Impaired..(SS-74)
PvtParts
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 1,876 Posts
KitMaker Network: 626 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2003 - 02:49 PM UTC
I dont know if this has been posted, If it has, my apologizes to the author. If not and you use it, send donations to John @ " Daughter going to College Fund" P.O Box...Ahhh never mind its free...Enough of the B.S. I hate using the plastic lenses that come with most kits. Either I ruin them with so much glue or ruin them period. Heres a new way I found, that for me, makes them almost fun to do.
Needed...Microscale, Micro Kristal Klear
Red paint, Silver paint or whatever color you use for lenses.
For the smaller lenses I mix a couple drops of color to the Microscale, if needed thin a bit with water and using a toothpick drop enough in the lens just to overfill by just a tad. It will shrink just abit to end up level.
For Larger Lenses I use it straight from the bottle and let it dry for 24 hours. I put enough in to level it with the lense. Let it dry overnite. You will notice it has settled in when dry, leaving enough room to add a color of choice to the second step.Which is..Mix Microscale with the color you choose, add water if needed to thin down, and again using a toothpick put a drop or so into the lense. This time get it to the level point because the shrinkage will be reduced.Using the toothpick to cover the outer edges sort of like a paint brush. Well ...hope this makes sense and good luck.On a side note..make sure your vehicle is propped up so the lenses are horizontal otherwise it will run out. If you cant understand it please send replies to Kencelot care of this site. #:-)

Sorry the pics not real clear...It does work!

P.S. Wow when can I try a feature article?
P.S.S ....SS-74..thats my tank DESTROYER!
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
entire network: 3,271 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2003 - 03:20 PM UTC
Man! That's just plain insulting! Police, arrest this %$%^#$%# !!!! FYI! I am not lens impaired!!!! On the contrary, I was known in our circle as Lord Lens!!!!

But awesome method.

Thanks!

PPPPPPPSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS: this is a bloody tank!
WeWillHold
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 2,314 Posts
KitMaker Network: 185 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2003 - 05:12 PM UTC
Lord Private.

Good thread on lens work ---- this should be helpful to many of us out there. As you probably know, Dave Tong (aka SS74) an Armorama UOM and a master armor and aircraft builder put a stunner robot build out on Rivet Review awhile back that was a Sci Fi show stopper.

While Dave used a different method than what you have described above, his robot showcased a large (almost translucent) green lens light ---that is a knock out.

I've taken the liberty and posted Dave's robot pic here--to showcase the effect.

ps: Dave is also the first holder of the DSB's "Order Of Lens" award given in recognition of his ----- (well we really never did figure that part out)---but we gave it to him anyway

MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 3,856 Posts
KitMaker Network: 719 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2003 - 05:42 PM UTC
arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr................not the robot thingy again #:-)

on a more serious note a good method I must try out. Now anyone got a foolproof method for putting in windscreens without glueing them up?
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2003 - 10:53 PM UTC
I like that robot thingy!

However, I used to use glue for glass for canopies/windscreens with some success. It dries completely clear as its used for things like watch-crystals. Anyone else tried this?
Jim
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 29, 2003 - 02:56 AM UTC
What about just using the Mv series or grief series of lens !! (++) (:-)
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 29, 2003 - 06:34 AM UTC
Elmer's (white) glue does pretty good for glass. It's an old car modelers trick.
 _GOTOTOP