_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
35th scale aircraft modelling
KarlRhodes
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 4 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 03, 2013 - 05:58 AM UTC
Hi All,

It's been some years since I last did any modelling of any kind and recently got the bug to do some more. However, I've opened a real bag of worms now as I'd like to do a WWII diorama that includes a crashed aircraft along side some military ground units, all in 1/35th.

The problem for me is that I can't find any 1/35 scale aircraft (ME109, Spitfire or Mustang) that I can use as my crashed aircraft and wondered a couple of things.

Firstly, are 1/35th scale aircraft available, and secondly, if they're not available, is it acceptable to use 1/32nd aircraft on a 1/35 diorama, or are the scale too different?

if 1/35th aircraft are avilable, could someone point me in the right direction as to where to find some? I'm based in the UK and while I don't mind buying from abroad, I'd prefer to buy locally.

Any opinions welcomed.

grunt26
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 155 Posts
KitMaker Network: 11 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 03, 2013 - 07:15 AM UTC
No, you're not going to find any WWII aircraft in 1/35....all in 1/32.
There are helicopters, starting from Korea up to modern, that are in 1/35, but no aircraft.

I say, use them, as 1/32 and 1/35 have always been inter-mixed. There's a 8-9% size difference in the 1/32 scale stuff, so try not to pose it too close to 1/35 stuff whenever possible.
That said, have fun!
Best of luck,
Rod
jon_a_its
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,336 Posts
KitMaker Network: 170 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 04, 2013 - 05:44 AM UTC
Bronco do a Piper L-4H Cub 'Grasshopper' & a "Rosie the Rocketeer" version.

Tristar do a 1/35th Fieseler Fi156 Storch PMMS

Both forward observation aircraft, perfect for passing intel to the troops.

Other than that, there are V1's & V2's which could be 'discovered' by recon.

Bronco are also announcing a German Invasion Glider DFS-230 B-1 with Paratroopers, very interesting!

Masterbox have been promising a MK1 Horsa for a while, & the CAD pics have progressed considerably, so....
They also (initially) had pics of a C47 (& Tante Ju???) but these are long gone.

If there is a specific aircraft you want (or have already) for this, the plane will be about 8% larger, so make sure you don't use a Tamiya figure as the pilot!
 _GOTOTOP