_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Paint Manufacturer Recommendations
golfermd
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
entire network: 152 Posts
KitMaker Network: 43 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 02, 2013 - 01:21 AM UTC
Hi All,

I am new to this forum and tried a search on this topic. I'm not asking for specific paints for any particular model (WWII military prop), rather I would like recommendations for sources of good quality paints. Or, which brands to steer clear of.

Thanks,
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 02, 2013 - 01:51 AM UTC
If you have an airbrush, Tamiya acryls are the way to go. I have heard Vallejo has a nice range that can be used for an ab or hand brushing. I also use MM enamels. These are good for both an ab and handbrushing. I would steer clear of their acrylic range. Polyscale/Floquil are also good for both. Although you can get brand name thinners, I find bottom dollar paint thinner works just as well for MM and Polyscale. For Tamiya, I would recommend IPA rubbing alcohol.
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 3,389 Posts
KitMaker Network: 625 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 02, 2013 - 02:23 AM UTC
I have used Tamiya for the airbrush, Badger, Vallejo and Model Master acrylics from the airbrush and hand painting, and Polly Scale acrylics for hand brushing-now only available in their railroad line. This is what is available locally-the Badger paints were from a review but I really did like them and plan on getting their warship colors. I look for paints that are low odor and easy to clean up without a lot of chemicals because of allergies in the home.
golfermd
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
entire network: 152 Posts
KitMaker Network: 43 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 02, 2013 - 03:45 AM UTC
I should have specified I don't yet have an airbrush. It's on my list, probably next month. I'll be looking for a good quality airbrush. I don't need all the bells and whistles, but do require quality.
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 3,389 Posts
KitMaker Network: 625 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 02, 2013 - 09:12 AM UTC
With no airbrush, Polly Scale, Vallejo and Model Master paints have all worked for me. Testors has come out with a new line of acrylic paints, possibly/probably a replacement for the Polly Scale line. The Badger paints brush paint well but require multiple coats over primer. I would say see what is available or easiest to get for you.
 _GOTOTOP