_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
One of those nights at the bench.
TotemWolf
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 294 Posts
KitMaker Network: 20 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2013 - 02:23 PM UTC
I went out to spend a little time in the workshop after dinner. I set at the bench and started working on some figs for my latest build. I puttied the mortar crew commander's body which I had glued together earlier in the day and set it aside. He will be holding a radio handset when finished. As a habit I keep all the related parts for one thing in a bag for storage and place them in plastic bowl/tote while working on it.
Anyway I set the pieces back in its tote and worked on the driver. Once his body and legs were done I tried to fit him in the seat. He wouldn't fit. I have the halftrack buttoned up as they are in combat/firing mode. With the door closed and everthing in place the driver would not fit as is. (I might have to remove his legs on try to fit it that way or something. But that's for later.) So as I'm trying to get the driver in place I bump a small part in the driver's compartment and knock it off. As I'm putting the halftrack down I fat finger the headlamp. I end up removing it so I can resecure it correctly.
A little CA later and we're good to go. Well I had been out long enough so I started to straighten up for the night. As I reach for the bowl with all the crew commander's parts I hit it and it tips over scattering all the parts out. Most land on the table but I hear one hit the little metal stool next to my worktable. It's the handset of course. The only one I have.
No problem I have concrete floors in my workshop it shouldn't be too hard to find. 15 mins later I head in to the house and have the wife and my oldest come help. 15 mins and a lot of sweeping of floors and moving of objects later we decide it's gone.
My daughter, who is a model builder herself, and I decide we'll make a new one. We find the perfect piece in the scrap box. All it needed is a little sanding and to be bent to shape and it would be perfect. I cut the peice off and it flies off the other side of the table.
All I could do was laugh. It was either that or cry.
We find some caps from a jerry can and the right piece of hose from some engine or something and make what will be a passable handset after some more sanding and some paint.
I came in before something worse happens.

Sometimes this relaxing hobby can be so dang frustrating.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2013 - 03:35 PM UTC
I feel your pain. I've lost entire kits.
TotemWolf
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2013 - 03:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I feel your pain. I've lost entire kits.

I have a ziploc bag with a lot a scrap in it. There is some .30 cals at least one .50 cal., tools, and so on. The whole bag disappeared last friday. I still can't find it.
plasticman17
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 78 Posts
KitMaker Network: 25 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2013 - 03:58 PM UTC
Robert, you do know that once you make another radio handset, your going to find the one that you dropped earlier

LOL, we all have those days, hang in there bud
TotemWolf
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2013 - 04:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Robert, you do know that once you make another radio handset, your going to find the one that you dropped earlier

LOL, we all have those days, hang in there bud

Only after I have the new in the fig's hand.
 _GOTOTOP