_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Custom Paint container holder?
Azarius
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 100 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 16, 2003 - 06:24 PM UTC

!S

Anyone here built a custom holder for their little paint containers? I'm about to build a modelling desk, and was thinking of incorporating such thing into my desk...

Ideas? Comments? Suggestions?
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2003 - 02:43 AM UTC
I use a printer paper draw unit for my paints, four draws that vary in height. It's nice because is heavy enough that the top can be used to stack up more supplies etc.
Got mine at an office supply store in the printer section.
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2003 - 02:51 AM UTC
Here's mine: It's hanging on the wall to the Left
crossbow
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
entire network: 1,387 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2003 - 03:23 AM UTC
Well, I was lucky enough to get hold of a display rack from Humbrol. Got it from a shop that stopped with the modelling stuff.

Kris
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2003 - 04:03 AM UTC
One thing to be aware of. Sometimes makers stop making certain paint sizes. A while ago I posted on the Painting forum about how the large Tamiya bottles are getting harder to find. Somebody, I can't remember who, mentioned this is going to screw them as they had made a custome made paint holder JUST for Tamiya paints and now it wouldn't work with the smaller bottles. See if you can make it adjustable if you can.

Me I have my paints in two places. On a cheap carasel I got at Wal-Mart, or in a small plastic tote from the same source. Either way it doesn't matter what size bottles I get, they'll all fit.
Sealhead
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 427 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 29, 2003 - 02:39 AM UTC
I bought a Forstner (?) drill bit set for my drill press. I can drill holes with flat bottoms in wood. I've used this to hold test tubes with rubber stoppers for stains I have made to slide in long strips of wood, and to hold round tins of accessories for my Moto-tool, etc.

Sealhead (Kansas Sunflower)
screamingeagle
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 1,027 Posts
KitMaker Network: 269 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 29, 2003 - 04:09 PM UTC
Looks as if Matt and I think alike. . I even have my rack hanging on the wall to my left.
This photo is from last year and the rack is almost full now. ..... I feel by building your own paint rack, you can customize it to suit your needs, location and how many containers of paint you have .................................. " and then some " ( LOL ).
I built the rack with a sheet of plywood, 1/2 " X 2 " X 24 " planks for the shelves and some decorative molding from the Home Depot. It cost me $14 to for supplies including stain, polyurethane and wood screws.

IF YOU SHOULD DECIDE TO MOUNT ANY PAINT RACK ON YOUR WALL, MAKE SURE IT'S MOUNTED AND WELL SECURED INTO THE WALL STUDS, ESPECIALLY IF YOUR PAINT IS IN GLASS JARS. My paint rack is supported by six screws that each go into the studs 4 inches deep, I just have way too much money invested into my hobby paints to take any unnecessary chances of that rack come crashing down, and having the rack mounted on the wall really frees up space on my workbench and keep's the paint at arms length.

- ralph
firemann816
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 790 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 29, 2003 - 05:13 PM UTC
I like the custom built ones, and Rodgers warning to make sure that the bottles can vary and your still in business.
Post pics when your 'done' with it
dbusack
Visit this Community
South Dakota, United States
entire network: 971 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 29, 2003 - 05:34 PM UTC
Here was an interesting paint rack design from the ARC page:

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/tnt1/101-200/tnt113_PaintRack_Rapasi/tnt113.htm

Don Busack
firemann816
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 790 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 29, 2003 - 05:44 PM UTC
You really cant improve upon simplicity
ingenuous
 _GOTOTOP