_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Masterbox Calvary
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 2,184 Posts
KitMaker Network: 356 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2013 - 07:11 AM UTC
Just a heads up for anyone thinking about P/U this set from Masterbox; Pa 8th calvary 89th Reg. I have dry fitted the kit and it is as good as thier previous civil war set. You can change some of the horses by switching the half sides around. Some more switching if you don't mind a bit of puttying and sanding. You will have the same fit problem with the horse heads to the bodies and need to putty and sand to fit them. The kit is very much complete with the only exception of the following; there is only one revolver holstered and one cap pouch in the set, standard issue was a revolver and cap pouch for each trooper. No picket rope or feed bag. No foot/boot leathers but some thin lead sheet will fix that. You can use some plyable putty for re-casting the revolver and pouch and the picket rope can be made of some fine wire twisted together. The feed bag you will have to scratch or mold from the earlier set if you have it. Also the painting on the box shows the U.S. brand on the front left shoulder, should be on the right hind shoulder. The atattchment points for the arms with the sabres is very delicate and to ovoid snaping them off I removed the sabre poits first. Masterbox replaced mine as they were broken frome the hilt. The sabres are very thin to be realisticly scaled. They are one of the best companies I have delt with and replacement parts arrived very quickly and at no cost. Customer service at it's best. Besides, I am a happy modeler with all of thier kits and the different way they aprouch thier subjects. Totaly different from the mainstream companies. All in all, this kit will build up very nicely and it will be an enjoyable kit to build. I have 2 plus sets and plan a tightly grouped calvary charge on a small base. I referanced this kit through a set of books titled, The Civil War, by William C. Davis. Good set of books on the American civil war and it has color photo's of real equipment from then also.
jowady
entire network: 1,027 Posts
KitMaker Network: 115 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2013 - 04:35 PM UTC
Sharps Carbines for each trooper?
 _GOTOTOP