_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Suggestions on kit to build basic skill.s
ComradeTony
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 5 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2013 - 05:43 AM UTC
A little about myself. I'm a college student who likes to mess around with model making in my spare time. I have a good set of basic tools already (but no airbrush), and have tried my best to build a handful of 1/24 scale auto and two 1/35 scale armor kits. The armor kits would be a Trumpeter KV-1 and Tamiya Panther Ausf. D. However, I've only assembled these kits and not attempted painting them.

I'm now looking for a kit that will be my first attempt at a completed, painted model. I'm looking for a kit that will be easy enough to build for a novice and able to painted with brushes. I'd like to just do something in a single color, as if it were a tank fresh out of the factory.

Thanks in advance for any advice. Feel free to ask me questions if I haven't been clear enough about anything.
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 3,389 Posts
KitMaker Network: 625 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2013 - 06:00 AM UTC
Tamiya M8 or M20 armored cars, Academy or Tamiya Sherman kits can be painted in Olive drab and still give a nice coat to experiment with weathering. You can use a spray can on these. The armored cars are small enough that you could easily paint by brush as well. Same with the German sk.kfz 222 kit. Tamiya and Academy kits are generally easy to build, have good detail and are priced right. AFV Club 3/4 ton trucks are in the same range -WC51/52. Oh, and welcome to the forum.
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 8,797 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,186 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2013 - 06:06 AM UTC
Welcome to the forum. Hope you will have a good time here.

Basically everything from the Tamiya range are good for that. They really make Shake n Bake kits. And a lot of the early vehicles can perfectly be painted in a single color. A lot of them were available in either dark grey or Sandcolor. The majority of the Allied vehicles were available in Olive drab
Italeri also makes really nice vehicles for still affordable prices.

Basically it is a matter of deciding what vehicle to choose first check out what colors they came in. A simple googlesearch or a question here should sort that out for you.

Happy modelling.
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 11,666 Posts
KitMaker Network: 121 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2013 - 03:38 AM UTC
Tony, welcome to the site. Hand painting done correctly so that brush marks and strokes have been removed, is a long and tedious process. Paint needs to be rather on the thin side and applied over a good gray primer. Every coat needs to be carefully rubbed out with 800 then 12,000 sandpaper to remove any bush strokes.

It's much easier to paint your models with one of Tamiya lacquer based rattle cans. They work great for general base colors. Then seal when completely dry with Testors Glosscoat in a rattle can, decal, then another application of Glosscoat to seal the decals. Now you can start your weathering process that is done with brushes. Seal between weathering applications with Dullcoat.

Just keep in mind that all the rattle cans are lacquer based, so wear a mask, paint in a well ventilated area, or outside if the weather permits it.

With a little practice, and a single color base coat, this method will allow you to turn out models the equal to what you see posted here.

Joel
ComradeTony
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 5 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2013 - 07:00 AM UTC
I'd like to thank everyone who took the time to reply to the topic.

It seems like a rattle can might be the easiest way to go? The only problem with that is I must do it outside, and I live in Boston. I assume the extreme cold will cause issues with paint application/curing?

Also, I'm completely lost when it comes to the stages of painting. Are there any good guides/tutorials on here? I assume I should assemble most of the kit aside from tracks and tools and then lay down the primer/base coat. Am I on the right track?

Again, thanks to all of you for being so helpful.
mat
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
entire network: 894 Posts
KitMaker Network: 127 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2013 - 08:52 AM UTC
well as long as it is not freezing... rattle cans work the best when the paint inside is warm. Keep the can in warm water for a while, it will spray much nicer. Most important thing for spraying outside is the wind, even a bit can ruin your paint job. And make sure you don't inhale. Made that mistake once, I was coughing for weeks. Make sure your model is clean. Wash it with warm water an dishwashing soap and let dry completely. Nothing more ugly than dust under your paintcoat

hth

Matthijs
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 3,389 Posts
KitMaker Network: 625 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2013 - 10:26 AM UTC
If it is one piece, you can do it all at once-tank or similar closed vehicle. If it has a visible interior, paint that, then you can stuff the dry interior with paper or tissue to mask it.
It is easiest to leave all the wheels off when you paint. You can place tools and other items if you want, or paint with them in place and then paint the tools after. If you use a spray can just make sure the paint is dry before you bring it in the house.
bronzey
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 300 Posts
KitMaker Network: 34 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2013 - 11:04 AM UTC
Tony,

Welcome fella to our little home! Ok I feel I should step in here and put something straight here. I like you am new to it, but I've done a number of armor models, now I do not have a air brush. I've always painted with a paint brush and I've done a humvee using a rattle can, I've never sanded down between coats and nor is there any brush strokes on them. 4-6 coats with valijo paint watered down 50/50 and it comes out fine, providing you don't rush. Don't be afraid of the paint brush, it makes for a much more 'personal' touch i believe, if you are still unsure, have a look at my short build log, best of luck!

http://armorama.com/forums/201495#1686584

Bronzey
oldtimer
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 210 Posts
KitMaker Network: 34 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 - 08:00 AM UTC
Welcome to the forum Tony.
I have to agree with Bronzey on this one. I have brush painted most of my models over the past 40 odd years. No need for sanding down I have never had any troubles with brush stokes using Humbrol, Tamiya, or Vallejo.

So don't be afraid of a paint brush.But do take time to make sure your paint is stirred well.

Cheers
Martin
 _GOTOTOP