a lot of looks & not much action
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 2,023 Posts
KitMaker Network: 626 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 16, 2013 - 08:27 AM UTC
Hi all,
I am in the process of thinning out my collection. I've made a couple of sales with good reviews but that has been it. Are my prices too high ? People's budgets too tight? Or, what?
Feed back or questions appreciated !
PLEASE check out my other post, "Help Me Reduce My Stash"
Thanks all and have a good weekend !
Tom or Ivanhoe6
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 16, 2013 - 08:34 AM UTC
Probably a combination of people's wallets being too tight and your prices being too high. I have found most of your list on Ebay for the same price, if not less.
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 3,971 Posts
KitMaker Network: 568 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 16, 2013 - 08:57 AM UTC
The price of shipping does not help either.

ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 16, 2013 - 01:47 PM UTC
Thanks Matt,
So I am about the same price as Ebay or a little more.
I'm OK with that. If I wanted to buy from a stranger I'd rather do it here on Armorama where I can see their progress pictures and read comments not somebody on Ebay who maybe makes up lost cash on a cheaper kit with higher postage than USPS cost.

Kevin, you are right about the shipping aspect. I have turned down a couple of offers from Canada just because of the high prices to ship and all the Customs and Currency exchange BS.

Thank you both for your honest replies. As far as prices go I will discount for multiple purchases making it cheaper per kit to ship.
Tom
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 16, 2013 - 02:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Matt,...
[BTWW : did you ever sell that started PzIV with the missing tracks and broken part for $30 ? I thought that was a little pricey compared to the unstarted ones that I still have in unopened bags for the same $30.]
Tom

I based my price on Ebay. A new one starts at around $50. Magic Tracks go for $15-20. And, since I listed it, today, it has not sold. I certainly don't ask other members why it hasn't sold and then attack them. A little un-called for, don't you think?
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 3,770 Posts
KitMaker Network: 747 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 16, 2013 - 02:47 PM UTC
Gents,

ivanhoe6 put stuff up. Period. He's asked a price. Now he's concerned the prices are high? Fine. See a kit you want, make a counter offer. Worse case he says no. Fine.

Stop with the BS. I have kits up too. Same, offer a counter offer. Jeez. Unless someone puts "Firm" on their offering, assume, rightly, a counter offer will be considered. How hard is that?

Back off from 'personal' attacks...only lessens one's standing here.

Mike

PS ivanhoe6, I want that AIM, but...price is fair market. I'm hoping to trade for one or go a bit less than $40.

FWIW.
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 17, 2013 - 04:23 AM UTC
Matt, I apologize. Comment removed.
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 10,553 Posts
KitMaker Network: 880 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 17, 2013 - 09:52 AM UTC
If you want to sell, then lower your prices. Period.

There is a price at which just about every kit will sell. If you have the time, then you can nibble away.

If you want to move the plastic out, drop your prices. The stuff will fly out.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 17, 2013 - 10:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Matt, I apologize. Comment removed.

Water under the bridge. Something you may want to consider is to watch EBay. Base your prices on availability of the kit. This is simply deciding which kits are "rare". And, never, ever list a kit as "rare". I take this as a challenge and can usually find a store that has one.
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 17, 2013 - 04:51 PM UTC
Thanks Matt ! Pretty childish of me.
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 17, 2013 - 05:02 PM UTC
Thanks Bill.
I need the space more than I need the money. That being said any reasonable offer will be considered. "You" make a REASONABLE offer I'll make a FIRM counter offer if it works out OK if not well it's back up for sale. So good readers find my list of kits and start making offers !
ONCE AGAIN ! prices DO NOT include shipping !
Thanks for reading and input ALL !
Tom
Recon
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 1,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 648 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2013 - 09:39 AM UTC
I think his prices are good.

Mike
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2013 - 10:48 AM UTC
Thanks Mike !
TIGMAC
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 30 Posts
KitMaker Network: 26 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2013 - 03:33 PM UTC
Hello everyone....Tom is a good guy to deal with, going out of his way to work with me to send some stuff to the great white north, prices of his stuff are not all that unreasonable to me. To me it all comes down to how much you want a certain kit and how much you are willing to pay for it and as far as shipping goes its one of those things that we all have to deal with wherever we may live and personally i do not even factor that in to the price when it is a kit that i really want.... ....Steve
Dodger013
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 410 Posts
KitMaker Network: 327 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2013 - 09:15 PM UTC
I have dealt with the same thing as well many times. I even do free shipping which cuts into the amount I get and I still hardly sell much.

ATM I am aiming high but only on a few kits like the J Last which I have not found for very cheap at all even ebay.

I too hope that counter offers come in. I like to make deals but it seems either people are timid or really expect alot for pennies.

I would be on alot of your offerings if I weren't shifting gears right now believe me. I find your prices really good and the selection great too.

Good luck to you on your effort, I'm sure you will get more business soon enough, least I would hope.
bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, February 19, 2013 - 04:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I think his prices are good.

His prices are GOOD, but there are a lot of these kits at GOOD prices, so folks shop around. I don't want to beat a dead horse, but I see vendors lugging boxes of kits to model shows, then lugging most of the same **** back home with them because they are selling at LHS prices, even for kits that are 30+ years old.

The "right" price is the one people will pay. You have to lower the price until it sells, unless you're like some who will post high prices "just in case."

I often buy second-hard kits, and I'm very aware of prices. There's a LOT of stuff out there right now, partly because folks are hurting financially and need to reduce their stash. This lowers prices. I see fellers using eBay as a guide for prices. That's a bad idea, unless you're looking at "completed sales." Some kits get listed over and over and over and over because the seller isn't paying by the sale but has a bulk permit. So they will list and re-list a kit forever.

I've even emailed sellers offering to buy a kit if they'll lower their price. You'd be surprised at the amount of vitriol I get back from some of them.

We tend to see the things we sell as extensions of our personal self: lowering the price on some beloved kit is like devaluing ourselves.

Get over it.

Plastic is a commodity. If you want to move your kits, beat the other guy's price.

Here endeth my sermon for today.
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 19, 2013 - 04:59 AM UTC
Hey, I want to thank all you guys for your kind words. Steve, looking forward to wrapping up our deal. Dodger, I've about 100 more kits to list, maybe you will be ready to hop back into the fray by then. Bill, thanks for the sermon. The market dictates prices.
Thanks to all who have stopped by and viewed and those who have PM'd me too.
Tom
bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, February 19, 2013 - 09:45 AM UTC
Tom, good luck with the hunt. I've been in your boat before and probably will again, LOL.
 _GOTOTOP