_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
My first model
Little_Yoshi
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 18 Posts
KitMaker Network: 8 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 15, 2013 - 04:04 AM UTC
Howdy! Well, I finally have my first model http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000QUGN0A/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1.

Any advice for a noob? What parts should I assemble immediately? What should I paint on the sprue? Can I rely on the directions?

Sorry for all the questions, but I really want this to turn out well. Plus I will keep this as a log of my activity to include pictures and to ask questions about my build. (If you don't mind.)

Thanks,
Ken
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 11,666 Posts
KitMaker Network: 121 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 15, 2013 - 05:10 AM UTC
Ken, Just curious as to why you're posting a armor build in the auto forum?

Most armor builds start with the lower hull, suspension, bogies, and wheels. I would go thought route, especially since it's your 1st build.

Joel
Little_Yoshi
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 18 Posts
KitMaker Network: 8 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 15, 2013 - 06:48 AM UTC
My apologies! I thought this was a "General" forum... I was going to post in Armor, but thought this would be a better forum since I know my questions won't necessarily be "armor" related. More general in nature.

Mods, please move to correct forum or delete.

Thanks,
Ken
plasticman17
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 78 Posts
KitMaker Network: 25 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 15, 2013 - 07:17 AM UTC
Hey Ken,

No need for an apology
Your right, this is modeling in general forum. Anything goes, I dont have a clue what Joel is talking about. That is a nice kit that you bought for your first model. Dragon is really good with great detailing . The first thing you should do is go over the instructions to fully understand them and then follow each step. If the kit comes with photo etch pieces, you might want to do them later once you get more experience under your belt. You have to glue the photo etch with super glue (CA glue for short)Just build it straight out of the box (OOB) and dont worry about any after market parts, that could be over whelming for you on your first model....just have fun! Congats on the nice kit!
DOntos
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 89 Posts
KitMaker Network: 10 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 15, 2013 - 07:24 AM UTC
Hi Ken,:-H
I like that your aiming high with your first kit!

Take your time and be patient with the kit as Dragon models are fairly complex but highly rewarding builds.

Good luck and hope you enjoy building it!

Dan
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 11,666 Posts
KitMaker Network: 121 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 15, 2013 - 07:37 AM UTC
Sean, It would a lot more sense to post a question relating to armor in the Armorama forum. There you would get a lot more specific information and help then you would tend to get in a aircraft forum. That's why there are different forums for different types of models.

I mostly build armor so I'm a regular poster/contributor there. Thinking of building a few aircraft models this year, so I've been stopping by.
Joel
Jessie_C
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 6,965 Posts
KitMaker Network: 609 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 15, 2013 - 08:30 AM UTC
Follow the instructions for now, because they were written in a sequence that the people who designed the kit think is the best way to build it. As you get more experienced you can start to vary the building process as you see fit.

Remember: It's your model and the idea of a hobby is to have fun. Build it the way you like and enjoy yourself
 _GOTOTOP