_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: The Union Jack Club
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
Royal Mail - What on earth?
ljames0874
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 408 Posts
KitMaker Network: 39 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2013 - 08:52 PM UTC
I don't know how many of us on here are aware of this, so I thought I'd better post this.

As my local model shop has closed down, I was forced to order some paints and glue direct from Humbrol last week. As yet, I haven't received them. Yesterday I read the following disturbing news on Hannants website:

Following recently completely unannounced new rules we regret we can no longer despatch certain items through the post by Royal Mail. These include Xtracolor and Humbrol enamel paints, Alclad products, liquid glues etc etc. Many of our orders are having these items removed and destroyed and then they are returning the rest of the parcel to us. ParcelForce say they can still accept them for now. If you put any of the affected items into your cart you will not now see the cheaper Royal Mail postage options. We will refund on any of these items in your orders that are already placed. Acrylic paints are not affected though we are only allowed 4 pots maximum per order now. This is to the UK and Overseas. We do realise that this is all ridiculous but sadly there is nothing we can do.
phantom_phanatic309
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 2,568 Posts
KitMaker Network: 126 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 17, 2013 - 01:18 PM UTC
Might be worth asking Humbrol themselves either by email or through their facebook page. I'd also enquire with other online retailers.
Personally, I'd like to know how Royal Mail would know if enamel paints are sealed in a parcel. Hannants are dropping themselves in it by insisting on putting invoices on the outsides of parcels, giving Royal Mails parcel kickers easy access. But, if the invoice is on the inside, how do they know? And how can they tell the difference between enamel or acrylic?
Kornbeef
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,667 Posts
KitMaker Network: 13 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2013 - 05:16 AM UTC
Stupidity at its best. I think the Royal Mail is deliberately trying to cut its own throat. H&S taken far too far, but that doesnt stop them overloading their postmen on their rounds.

phantom_phanatic309
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, March 01, 2013 - 10:00 AM UTC
Oddly enough this was recently posed to Humbrol on their Facebook page. Humbrol stated that they are not affected and can still send paint and sprays ordered from their website through the post. So Hannants say one thing, Humbrol say another? I'm also keen to ask other online retailers about this so I have asked Wonderland Models in Edinburgh. It'll be interesting to hear their answer.

David_StoryModels
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 113 Posts
KitMaker Network: 79 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 05, 2013 - 10:36 AM UTC

I think these new rules apply for international post only .

phantom_phanatic309
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, March 06, 2013 - 04:54 AM UTC
Its all a little strange. Wonderland models got back and said that at the moment sprays have to go by parcelforce (that was the case when I used to work in my LHS about 4 years go, nothing new on that), but tins of enamel and acrylic still can. As long as its packed well I don't see a problem. I just have a sneaky feeling thing that all this is a knee jerk reaction to the sort of stories that the Daily Mail makes up. There are still plenty of online stores and ebay traders selling enamel and acrylic paints.
Klaus-Adler
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,505 Posts
KitMaker Network: 70 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 11, 2016 - 07:58 AM UTC
And now you know the reason why we refer to the uk postal system as: Royal Fail & Parcel Farce.

As for hannants, I got burned by them in the past and I vowed never to use them again!
 _GOTOTOP