_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
At Risk Teens
gregcctrn
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 329 Posts
KitMaker Network: 236 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2013 - 07:05 PM UTC
Hi,

I am reaching out to the modeling community, for advice, support, and recommendations.

I am an avid modeler, until recently I had been away from the hobby. I have returned partly due to getting involved with "at risk" teens. Recently I have become involved with a local organization that works with at risk teens (at risk for crime etc.)

I am part of a group comprised of people with different talents and skill sets. We offer our time and associated skills/talents to troubled teens that have an interest. For example, there are guys that have strong backgrounds in automotive and small engine repair. These volunteers will work with teens who have an interest in mechanics, there are all sorts of talented people who offer their time.

I offer my time to teens who have an interest modeling. My group is one of the smallest, made up of three, and sometimes up to five teens. However, my group is one of the most dedicated, I am proud to say that they are evolving into very good modelers. For the most part these kids can't afford to buy much, so I try to keep a stock of kits for them to work with.

I started them off just by building a model, this has inspired them to ask a lot of questions, which leads me to introduce History into the mix. As they read about events of the second world war, and the equipment used, they find pictures and read of accounts and decide to model the event. Then we get more technical, and I get them airbrushing, it blows me a away at how good they get in such a short time with the airbrush. That is my next investment, I want to get a couple of good workhorse airbrushes, as I share my airbrush and compressor with all of them.

The theme is world war 2, in 1/48 scale. This gives the ability to build both air and ground equipment in the same scale.

I am always looking for a good deal on kits, as I support this from my own wallet. In keeping with the theme of the second world war in 1/48, if there are any kits that you are able to part with I would greatly appreciate the donation. Or, if anyone is willing to pass along contacts in the industry, that to would be greatly appreciated.

Along with kits, we could use all the tools, paint and painting supplies (acrylic).....

Thanks for taking the time to read!

Greg
bronzey
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 300 Posts
KitMaker Network: 34 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2013 - 08:25 PM UTC
Greg,

Unfortunately I can not help you with your request but, I wanted to just say that you should be proud of yourself, well done. I admire what you are doing as I am a 'ex at risk' child myself. I have pondered on doing this in the UK before as I use modelling as a tool to relax and calm myself after my own personal experience as a teen. I wish you all the best in this project and please do share pictures of the finished work!

Bronzey
spacewolfdad
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 642 Posts
KitMaker Network: 43 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2013 - 12:37 AM UTC
Hi Greg,

Unfortunately I can't give you any tangible support, only moral support and a little advice. I would try contacting local model shops and asking if they have any 'damaged box' models they would like to donate to the project. If you have some means of identifying yourself as connected to this project, so much the better. You could also try writing to manufacturers and distributors in the hope they will 'spring' some kits your way. Finally, try to get a table (for free) at local model shows and display the work along with literature on the project, it would surprise me if you didn't get a favourable response in the form of kits and other stuff. I wish you well with the project, it is a good thing you are doing.

All the best,

Paul
gregcctrn
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 329 Posts
KitMaker Network: 236 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2013 - 03:47 AM UTC
Thanks for the words of support!

I would like to add that support does not have to be tangible...hearing encouraging words goes a long way!
bmikk1
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 199 Posts
KitMaker Network: 48 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2013 - 04:08 AM UTC
Revell offers a make-and-take program. Here is a link to explore further.
http://www.revell.com/community/make-n-take.html
didgeboy
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,846 Posts
KitMaker Network: 208 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2013 - 05:41 AM UTC
Greg;
Last year I started a similar program at our local VA hospital to try to get models and tools into the hands of returning veterans. While my program has been caught up in the political BS of the VA and people there trying to hijack my program for their own benefit, it sounds like yours is doing just what it is supposed to, congratulations!

I would get yourself a few new airbrushes off ebay. There are some Iwata knock offs that are really good, but I am sure not quite as sturdy as a real deal. On the plus side you can get three of these for 1/3 the cost of the same model. For your needs I would think this would be wise. You can get these guys a superior tool that does not come with the price tag, should someone break or damage something. They get to learn how to operate a high end brush and take care of it and can decide that it might be something they want to look into for their own use. Feel free to contact me via PM and I am happy to share with you some ideas that I had about getting donations for your program. Cheers.
 _GOTOTOP