_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Mig productions vs AK productions pigments
Wolf-Leader
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 1,225 Posts
KitMaker Network: 463 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2013 - 01:33 PM UTC
I'm new to these products and I would like to know what is the difference between the two products? What makes either one of better than the other?
raypalmer
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,151 Posts
KitMaker Network: 100 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 03, 2013 - 04:50 PM UTC
They both have a seemingly undetectable property that makes them three times the price of vallejo pigments. I think it's called marketing-esium.

Save money and buy vallejo. OR save more money and buy hard pastels at the art supply, scratch them against a surface and hey presto! Pigment! Admittedly the pastel dust isn't quite as good as pigments but it's pretty darn close for the money.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 04, 2013 - 10:16 AM UTC
The main difference is the selection of colors. Dr. Ben's are nice, and very cheap. Although, their selection is limited. I would recommend EBay, for pigment purchases.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 4,691 Posts
KitMaker Network: 668 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 04, 2013 - 10:22 AM UTC
their both good stuff,I have a selection of both,highly recommended,either one.
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 3,971 Posts
KitMaker Network: 568 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 04, 2013 - 10:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

They both have a seemingly undetectable property that makes them three times the price of vallejo pigments. I think it's called marketing-esium.

Save money and buy vallejo. OR save more money and buy hard pastels at the art supply, scratch them against a surface and hey presto! Pigment! Admittedly the pastel dust isn't quite as good as pigments but it's pretty darn close for the money.

I vote for Vallejo pigments too, AK and Mig are just too expensive, and I have been able to match any color in Vallejo. Also, as for washes and other weathering effects, between Vallejo washes and True Earth you find what you need, no need to pay AK and Mig prices.

_GOTOTOP