_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
3D Printer
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2013 - 10:08 AM UTC
I have posted on some forums dedicated to 3D printers and thought I might ask here. I am planning on purchasing a 3D printer, for the first time. I want to keep the cost at $800 or less. Is anyone familiar enough with this product to tell me which would be the best buy?
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 2,191 Posts
KitMaker Network: 357 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2013 - 11:01 AM UTC
You're not going to get anything useful (modeling wise) out of an $800 3d printer, if you could even find an $800 3d printer.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2013 - 11:13 AM UTC
Actually there are several printers for less than $800 that use cad to produce parts accurate to within .025mm. It would be quite easy to produce parts for models.
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2013 - 02:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Actually there are several printers for less than $800 that use cad to produce parts accurate to within .025mm. It would be quite easy to produce parts for models.

All printers use CAD.

Which $800 3d printers are doing 25 micron layers?
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2013 - 11:49 PM UTC
Mbot Personal 3D Printer (colorful version)
Composer Personal 3D Printer
There are more.
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 09, 2013 - 03:13 PM UTC
I would suggest that you actually read the specifications for the items you've listed, as they don't match (layer thickness OR price) either or your assertions.
MadModeler
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
entire network: 454 Posts
KitMaker Network: 165 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 09, 2013 - 03:15 PM UTC
I think I just added 3D printer to my wish list now. Does anyone have one? How does it react over time? Worth the money?
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2013 - 03:24 AM UTC
Sumpod MDF Basic
Rapidbot 3.0
Rapidbot 4.0
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2013 - 04:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Sumpod MDF Basic
Rapidbot 3.0
Rapidbot 4.0

Matt,

Again, none of those can do .025 mm layers. The Rapidbot 3.0's best layer thickness is .20 mm.

I'd be interested if we could get 3d printers with those types of specs for under $800... but I haven't seen it yet.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2013 - 05:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Sumpod MDF Basic
Rapidbot 3.0
Rapidbot 4.0

Matt,

Again, none of those can do .025 mm layers. The Rapidbot 3.0's best layer thickness is .20 mm.

I'd be interested if we could get 3d printers with those types of specs for under $800... but I haven't seen it yet.

I misplaced a decimal.
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,981 Posts
KitMaker Network: 574 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2013 - 06:20 AM UTC
Hi Matt,

A 3D printer would be so useful! (But $800 would buy a lot of plastic kits... ) What are the running costs with these babies? I suppose if the machines are durable enough to turn out parts in quantity you could even subsidise the cost throuh sales - setting up a small business.

Are you already a CAD user? 3D solids are fairly challenging, and if you also have the learning curve of basic CAD on top it might be a real strain. There are plenty of us out there who drive CAD already, so help can be found if needed. (Shapeways even has a forum for people looking for CAD modellers - worth a look if you get stuck.) Of course, please forgive me if you are already comfy with CAD...

Anyway, let us know how it all turns out!

Tom
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2013 - 06:39 AM UTC
I am proficient in autocad, google sketchup and emachines(which I find to be the most basic). All are self taught. I tested at genious level in school, having assisted teaching in one class and teaching myself advanced algebra. At one job, I operated a cnc using basic cad.
Even at .2mm, I believe that I can create parts for 1:35+ models.
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2013 - 09:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Matt,

A 3D printer would be so useful! (But $800 would buy a lot of plastic kits... ) What are the running costs with these babies? I suppose if the machines are durable enough to turn out parts in quantity you could even subsidise the cost throuh sales - setting up a small business.

Are you already a CAD user? 3D solids are fairly challenging, and if you also have the learning curve of basic CAD on top it might be a real strain. There are plenty of us out there who drive CAD already, so help can be found if needed. (Shapeways even has a forum for people looking for CAD modellers - worth a look if you get stuck.) Of course, please forgive me if you are already comfy with CAD...

Anyway, let us know how it all turns out!

Tom

The issue I've seen is that all of these 3d printers for your home use either ABS or PVA plastics. There's also issues with how fast they can turn on/off the pressure that's feeding the material, which causes issues with start/stopping flow as you move from one part of the work to another while on the same 'layer'. Additionally, there's a fair bit of maintenance to keeping the bed flat, and various zero'ing of the axis. It doesn't seem like rocket science, but it's not exactly perfectly easy...yet.

Obviously folks like Shapeways and Click2detail have higher end machines that don't have many of the same problems as the consumer level bits. And of course Shapeways has a variety of materials to suit the needs of almost anyone.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2013 - 09:51 AM UTC
I can overcome the materials used problem, easy enough. I have found very few things that epoxy does not adhere to. I have also looked, very seriously into building my own printer.
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2013 - 10:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I can overcome the materials used problem, easy enough. I have found very few things that epoxy does not adhere to. I have also looked, very seriously into building my own printer.

The material problem isn't sticking 2 pieces together. It's getting the fidelity of detail out of the material in the first place.

But by all means, please explain building your own 3d printer.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2013 - 01:15 AM UTC
I have found several guides on diy printers. It is really just a matter of ordering the parts and assembling one.
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 176 Posts
KitMaker Network: 29 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 29, 2013 - 04:36 AM UTC
I have seen a live demo of some of those machines and have several pieces on my desk. They do not produce the necessary surface quality for any scale model. And gluing it is almost impossible, don't kid yourself here. The machines need to be uber rigid and use a heated platform to build on. The type commonly used is a fusion deposition media type, which actually prints the part out one micro layer at a time. Not modeler friendly yet and still very expensive even using the available media.
Teaker11
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 962 Posts
KitMaker Network: 154 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 20, 2013 - 12:25 PM UTC
I am interested in a printer also, but in my opiun they are still 5 years or so off, price and quality. In fact I see this as a future of modeling. you pick out the kit you want down load the file and off it goes so I believe if you wait a few years you options will be better.
Just my thoughts
Jim
markchis
Visit this Community
Kuwait / لعربية
entire network: 467 Posts
KitMaker Network: 13 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 21, 2013 - 12:06 AM UTC
Admire your positive attitude Matt - this seems to be the way a lot of things are headed. I used 2-d cad quite a while ago and also at University but now I am relearning the 3-d stuff is not so difficult.

Check this out ---

http://www.123dapp.com/

fully free, fully supported. and world leader autodesk.

Also follow the guys tutorials where he uses 123d to build a model in makerbot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGrkWFTbmQw

there is going to be a lot of 3d printers in the future at an affordable level. You will be paying and ordering 3-d designs on the internet and printing your own models in your own home in a few years.

best
Mark
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 21, 2013 - 12:20 AM UTC
Marc: Thank you for the links. I should be able to purchase 123D, next month. The video is helpful, as well.
Teaker11
Visit this Community
KitMaker Network: 154 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 21, 2013 - 03:07 AM UTC
Check out a company called HDS on Facebook, He is making parts for a Sherman Tank it may help your search.
Jim
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 21, 2013 - 04:53 AM UTC
Thanks Jim.
Teaker11
Visit this Community