_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!
Built a model or part from your own materials lately?
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
Smoothing Clay
diseasedspawn
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 97 Posts
KitMaker Network: 40 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2013 - 11:47 AM UTC
As the title suggests I need help smoothing clay. I use sculpey in my scratchbuilds but the surface is covered in pits and little inconsistancies. I have looked on the net but not much in the way of technique. Can anyone help me please?
nico37
Visit this Community
Indre-et-Loire, France
entire network: 651 Posts
KitMaker Network: 11 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 07, 2013 - 12:11 AM UTC
Hi Mark,

i use also sculpey ("Firm" and "Super") and i use several methods to smooth it.

When it's not dry i generally use 3 ways :

-(cigarette) Lighter petrol, like for the "zippo", (in french it calls "essence F", i don't know the enhlish word). But you have to take a lot of care, just a LITTLE LITTLE LITTLE amount on an old paint brush if you don't want your sculpey to melt and destroy your scratch !

- Demolding vaseline (or vaseline oil), on an old paint brush, less efficient than petrol but less aggressive too !

- But the most usefull (for me) are the "color shapers" (availables in different shapes in the art shops on the oil paint tools shelves; they are sometimes call "clay shapers") , it needs more work and patience, and of course you can mix color shaper + vaseline oil or petrol.

Do attempts before you begin the "real" work

When it's dry i use finishing abrasives, like the Tamiya's, especially for large surfaces, it's not easy with little folds for example...

Well, hoping to have helped you...

Cheers and good luck
nico
diseasedspawn
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 97 Posts
KitMaker Network: 40 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 07, 2013 - 10:37 AM UTC
Thx Nico

Have you ever heard about using Johnston's Baby Oil? (Don't know if they have that in France or not)

As far as technique, is there any trick beyond just smoothing an area out with a tool or finger?

Also, could water work instead?
 _GOTOTOP