_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Vallejo Questions
raypalmer
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,151 Posts
KitMaker Network: 100 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 26, 2013 - 12:20 PM UTC
Okay here's a few for the experts.

I've been a Tamiya purist ever since the supply of Gunze Aqueous seemingly dried up here in Canada.

But I've just bought some Vallejo Model Color (only proper color matches I could find for a subject) and some Model Air.

Obviously I don't need to thin the Model Air, what's the best thinner for Model Color? Can I use alcohol? I hate buying proprietary thinners.

Second, what's the best way to apply Vallejo pigment?
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 3,971 Posts
KitMaker Network: 568 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 26, 2013 - 12:32 PM UTC
From my understanding the Vallejo Thinner is the best for Model Color, but I have heard people using distilled water. I use the Vallejo Thinner when I want thinner coats with Vallejo Air, and it works great.

For pigments, I apply them all the same, with a brush and sometimes water depending on effect desired.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 26, 2013 - 12:33 PM UTC
Vallejo web site
I use plain old distilled water from the grocery store or pharmacy (chemist to you) at a couple buck a gallon to thin regular vallejo paints. Hey, it's what they recommend and tey should know!
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 3,845 Posts
KitMaker Network: 209 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 27, 2013 - 04:27 AM UTC
Diluting Valleyo colors with alcohol leads to a huge mess! Your paint will become a sort of curdy substance impossible to use

As the other guys have told you, you can use distilled water, but your paint job will be a bit less resistant this way
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
entire network: 2,247 Posts
KitMaker Network: 718 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 29, 2013 - 04:50 AM UTC
Yes, DO NOT use alcohol or Tamiya thinner with Vallejo paints, unless you like cleaning out a goopy curdled mess from your airbrush.

Obviously the thinner that Vallejo makes is formulated, and will be the best product to use with their paints.

You can use distilled water, but you can run into the paint drying prematurely before it hits the kit. The Vallejo AB thinner has a retardant in it to help with that.

Of course if you just want to thin out the model color to make it easier to brush paint, then distilled water will do the trick just fine.
jon_a_its
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,336 Posts
KitMaker Network: 170 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2013 - 11:19 PM UTC
Yup all of the above!

I use their "Dilutant" looks like thin elmers'/PVA to thin Model Color + some "Tip Retardent" to slow drying out, esp. for brush painting.

I find use of distilled water will cause the colour to shift slightly when spraying, & the bond to plastic is not as strong.

If any of their Polyurethane Primers are in your base colour needs, use that, as it is tough as nails, & camo the normal ModelAir on top.

I also use a tiny bit of Medea a/b cleaner IF I need to thin ModelAir.
 _GOTOTOP