_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
how do you bend PE parts?
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 835 Posts
KitMaker Network: 350 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 30, 2002 - 01:02 PM UTC
there has been a lot of discussion about the hold n fold lately. I have not got one yet and may have to get to work on some PE before I get one (or have my dad make something similar). Anyway, if some of you PE experts out there could run through how you make some of those really little folds I would be grateful as always for the help
Posted: Thursday, May 30, 2002 - 01:06 PM UTC
a metal straightedge, either fingers or tweezers and a lot of patiences
chris
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
entire network: 3,271 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 30, 2002 - 02:38 PM UTC

Quoted Text

a metal straightedge, either fingers or tweezers and a lot of patiences
chris

I think so, the most important element is patiences and practice. I have the whole kit Hold and Fold, and still not doing a good job, I think it's my rather lacking of patience and practice caused it. So need to go buy more PEs for practice. #:-)
sourkraut
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 602 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 30, 2002 - 04:56 PM UTC
tweezers,fingers,hemostats or anything else you can think of.it all depends on the part and what you feel comfortable with
Posted: Thursday, May 30, 2002 - 10:35 PM UTC
amen to that, brother...............................well i',m half in the bag again.............duh, which way did he go george, which way did he go..............
shiryon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 876 Posts
KitMaker Network: 256 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 31, 2002 - 12:12 AM UTC
Try to get a tweezer that has a sliding lock. Don't care to remember how many pieces I've lost because i let up on the pressure While holding a tweezer. Overall though patience gets the nod go SLOW.
tankshack
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 310 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 31, 2002 - 01:04 AM UTC
Top 5 Photoetch tools -

1. Metal ruler or straight edge - I used a 12 inch strip of brass for years
2. Straight edge razor blades
3. Piece of ceramic tile
4. Long nose pliers - get the kind without the "grip" at the tips
5. Tweezers not too pointed, just encourages the "launching" of the little bits.

Interestingly enough, I have the hold and fold and I do like to use it a lot; however, the list above will let you do most of what can be done with the Hold and Fold. And, you are going to need most of these items anyways.

Let me know if you have more questions about this.

Later,
Tim
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 1,290 Posts
KitMaker Network: 480 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 31, 2002 - 02:17 AM UTC
I have a piece of glass (edged in 100-mph tape), a metal ruler, exacto blade, small needle nose pliers, etc., as mentioned above. The glass plate is excellent for cutting the PE off of the fret as it does not give and won't scratch. Just remember to cover the edges to keep you fingers intact #:-)
Greg
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 455 Posts
KitMaker Network: 149 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 31, 2002 - 02:37 AM UTC
I use a glass plate and tweezers, go through knife blades like they are candy, and still manage to lose/mangle a lot of things. Many frets contain parts I simply won't bother with; too much effort for too little results. Especially if it won't survive handling during assembly'painting/weathering. A lot of my models get no photoetch at all. Given a choice, frankly, I'll try thinning a plastic part or using a resin detail rather than use photoetch.
Greg
 _GOTOTOP