_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Knowing when too stop
plasticman17
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 78 Posts
KitMaker Network: 25 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2013 - 04:43 AM UTC
Hello,

Just throwing this question out to ya. I like too know when to stop FINISHING a model. What Im trying to say is that after you paint the model, weather it etc.. when do you say, ok it looks good , Im done! For me, If I like it, then Im done, I dont touch it. A couple of times I got into trouble and decided to weather it alittle more and BAM, its ruined. I also feel that if someone thinks there model is looking good, they would put there finished product on the web for everybody too see. Now, if people pick it apart, then would that leave the modeller to try to make it the way the viewers would like too see it? Thus possibly ruining a good piece? I feel like if its good in my eye, then thats all that matters. So, how do you know when too stop? Thank you!
spacewolfdad
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 642 Posts
KitMaker Network: 43 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2013 - 05:29 AM UTC
Hi Sean,

I am of the belief that modelling is for fun and for your own pleasure, if it pleases other people to see your efforts then that is a bonus. Don't get sucked in to the destructive cycle of trying to please other people by doing 'what's expected' i.e. if you DON'T like heavy weathering then don't do it, just because others do it is no reason to follow suit. Just take the model to the point where you think it looks like what you intended to do and leave it at that, keep tweaking it will only result in what you have mentioned and that leads to disappointment. You may find it better if you base your models on a photograph, or series of photographs and try to emulate the finish on those, that way you know how much weathering to do and when to stop. Just keep on experimenting, use or buy some cheap kits to practice and refine your skills.

All the best,

Paul
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2013 - 08:42 AM UTC
I agree. Building should be fun. If people pick it apart and it is too dificult to fix, consider it a step to overcome in your next build. Occassionaly, I go back
to one of my older builds and give it an overhaul. New paint, markings, weathering and one or two scratchbuilt parts.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2013 - 12:01 PM UTC
When you build for fun, you should build for yourself and what you are happy with. I appreciate comments and critic, but I decide myself what to use and what would improve my kit. I dont get too worried when it doesn´t appeal to everybody.
This might be different when modelling on comission or even for a magazine, but thats not a big percentage of us.
 _GOTOTOP