_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Likes and Dislikes
plasticman17
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 78 Posts
KitMaker Network: 25 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 20, 2013 - 01:47 PM UTC
Hey everyone!

Just wanted to get a survey on what your favorite and least favorite part of modeling is.
Me personally, I dislike the puttying, sanding, filing. I feel like when I open a new kit, I want to get the ball rolling and get to my favorite parts of modeling! But with sanding and all that stuff, it seams it takes forever. I know its worth it in the long run
My favorite part of modeling is the research into the subject that I am modeling, the glueing,PE, the painting, the decaling and weathering

How about you guys?
Delbert
Visit this Community
entire network: 2,659 Posts
KitMaker Network: 865 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2013 - 08:44 AM UTC
Ok I'm game.

I like Assembly,
I like Airbrushing,

I dislike Wash's but I'm getting better,

Delbert
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2013 - 09:12 AM UTC
My biggest dislike is finishing a model that I have enjoyed. I just don't want it to be over with.
I really enjoy painting and weathering. This allows some artistic license and I just enjoy building up layers of dirt and rust.
Redprol
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 103 Posts
KitMaker Network: 13 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2013 - 10:03 AM UTC
Hate Photo etch, love painting and researching the thing!!

Redprol
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2013 - 11:58 AM UTC
I hate silly mistakes in the kit or when they are only released with one length tracks. I refuse to use them ... dont think Ive ever been 100% happy with how they sit. When I see a new release having only these, I know I have to purchase an AM track set also. Most kits lose their appeal immediately after this.
plasticman17
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2013 - 12:23 PM UTC
cool! Thanks guys!
bronzey
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 300 Posts
KitMaker Network: 34 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2013 - 01:21 PM UTC
I hate TRACKS!!! Only done a handful of models so most parts are new and interesting in me, but tracks, I can't stand them, the single link ones that you have to glue together, 180 needed to do my missile tank I've just finished. Think the weathering part of painting I like the most, watching it come to life, done rusting with oils and I really enjoyed that.
plasticman17
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2013 - 02:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I hate TRACKS!!!

Same here Alex! I just bought a 1/72 scale tank recently and it came with the individual track links..... I know there more realistic, but I was really disappointed because its so time consuming. I'm old school I guess....
Steel_Spektor
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 74 Posts
KitMaker Network: 6 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2013 - 08:05 PM UTC
I like the construction process, seeing the parts take the shape of a tank/plane/etc. But I dislike assembling the same part many times... i.e tank treads/wheels/missiles...
bronzey
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 300 Posts
KitMaker Network: 34 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2013 - 09:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I just bought a 1/72 scale tank recently and it came with the individual track links.....

Wow, 1/35 sized tracks are fiddly but 1/72... Yeah no thank you lol think if I opened a box faced with that I would cry! I do agree that they look like the real thing, even if they are a pain in the arse lol
35th-scale
Visit this Community
Kildare, Ireland
entire network: 3,212 Posts
KitMaker Network: 250 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2013 - 12:37 AM UTC
Initial assembly would be my favorite step....
plasticman17
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2013 - 02:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Wow, 1/35 sized tracks are fiddly but 1/72... Yeah no thank you lol think if I opened a box faced with that I would cry! I do agree that they look like the real thing, even if they are a pain in the arse lol

Lol, yeh I know Alex. It is an Italeri kit.Im not sure if that is standard nowadays from this maker???? I was surprised my-self. It will be sitting on the shelf for awhile Take care!
Sammuel
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 200 Posts
KitMaker Network: 54 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2013 - 04:34 PM UTC
I love all aspects of research and building and really starting to get into scratch building. I have thrown in the towel as far as airbrushing! I'm back to brush painting and rattle cans.

I have decided to just build for me and gifts for my friends. I wont be entering any contests. Seems like if you don't airbrush you dont stand a chance of winning a contest. I don't even see any articles in FSM magazine about brush or rattle can painting.

Just call me "Old School".

Thanks
Sam
plasticman17
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2013 - 05:17 PM UTC
Hey Sam

You know what, I do airbrush, however I get decent results from a spray can. With all the weathering that you do on these military models you almost cover up the paint job anyway. Some of my best models were done by spray can. The one thing that I can say about the airbrush is that you can get into the nooks and crannies, especially if the model is fully built. So, I guess you have to be extra careful with the spray can. As for hand brushing, forget it. I would call it quits if I had to do that, and yet I see people master it!
JClapp
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 2,265 Posts
KitMaker Network: 225 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2013 - 11:21 PM UTC
aircraft canopy to fuselage joins. I just dont know what to do there. they always look ragged, or the glue fogs the clear plastic ...
Sammuel
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 200 Posts
KitMaker Network: 54 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 24, 2013 - 02:15 AM UTC
plasticman;

Thanks for the kind words. I hope to really learn to airbrush when I have the time later in life. For now.......I'm happy with my builds and progress.

Cheers,

Sam
Alpacino
Visit this Community
Vilnius, Lithuania
entire network: 12 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 24, 2013 - 09:43 AM UTC
For me I like the start and the finish most, but dislike the slow and tedious processes in the middle - correcting imperfections, filling, sanding, esp. tiny tiny PE cutting, folding, gluing. Also 1/35 figure painting is a bit frightening, but it comes with practice.

I think I enjoy mostly building (if parts fit well), airbrushing and weathering. I like those models where less masking and remasking for different airbrushing is required, so monochromatic vehicles with some color modulation is faster and easier

I see it goes similarly to others as well. Don't how about you, but I cannot do only one model at a time. I have found that if I do 2 or 3 simultaneusly with some switches, then it is easier to go through that tedious middle part

retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 24, 2013 - 10:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Lol, yeh I know Alex. It is an Italeri kit.Im not sure if that is standard nowadays from this maker???? I was surprised my-self. It will be sitting on the shelf for awhile Take care!

Which kit is it? I love the tedious trimming and building of indi tracks. This will present me with a real challenge.
 _GOTOTOP