_GOTOBOTTOM
Photography
Questions about shooting your models and dioramas? Ask here.
Online image hosting?
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 1,561 Posts
KitMaker Network: 485 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 30, 2002 - 11:22 AM UTC
I was wondering what websites y'all upload your photos to? I've got an account at the Yahoo picture site... but I forgot my password .... and I can't get it back, because I gave them a bogus e-mail address for the reason that I didn't want any annoying e-mails.... I also can't get my password back because I gave them bogus personal info too... I guess I didn't feel like sharing that day...

YodaMan
I'm just an average Joe
sourkraut
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 602 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 30, 2002 - 05:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I was wondering what websites y'all upload your photos to? I've got an account at the Yahoo picture site... but I forgot my password .... and I can't get it back, because I gave them a bogus e-mail address for the reason that I didn't want any annoying e-mails.... I also can't get my password back because I gave them bogus personal info too... I guess I didn't feel like sharing that day...

YodaMan
I'm just an average Joe

i did the same thing once,and learned my lesson from it.next time write down your pass work
p.s. try webshots.com
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Friday, May 31, 2002 - 03:10 AM UTC
Here's a preview!! More coming soon... stay tuned!!!

By the way, that's Tamiya's 1/72 P-51 Mustang.... I could point out about two dozen things I'm not happy with, but I won't do that.

YodaMan

UPDATE:::: PHOTO HAS BEEN MOVED TO BOTTOM POST
Spike9077
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 179 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 31, 2002 - 03:16 AM UTC
I can't see it. It's just a box with a red X in it.

BTW, this question has probably been asked a thousand times, but how do you put pics right into the post?

Mark
m1garand
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,248 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 31, 2002 - 03:21 AM UTC
YM-
I can't see your pic on the forum here, but can open it in a separate window. I use AT&T cable internet and they give me 10 megs of webspace.
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Friday, May 31, 2002 - 03:29 AM UTC
Hmmm. Does it work now? I can see the picture just fine! I changed the settings on the album from 'private' to 'public'. Let me know if it works.... I hope it does!!!

YodaMan
m1garand
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,248 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 31, 2002 - 03:31 AM UTC
Sorry, still not showing up.
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Friday, May 31, 2002 - 03:38 AM UTC
Hmmmm. The wierd thing is; the picture shows up in the post for me....
Try and see if you can get into my photo album page here I dunno what's up! It worked fine when I got the picture of myself to show up when I had Yahoo as a host. The internet: you love it and hate it at the same time

YodaMan
Spike9077
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 179 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 31, 2002 - 03:40 AM UTC
Now it says that i'm not the owner of the album and that I have to be logged in . Stupid technology.

Mark
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 31, 2002 - 03:45 AM UTC
http://community.webshots.com/storage/1/v2/6/15/52/39461552cKPfkZ_ph.jpg

Here is the actual link to the photo. IF you take this link and cut and paste it into the URL address bar in your browser it will work. Why?? Because the server on the other end has no idea who is asking for the image. If, however, you click on a link the server thinks that Armorama.com (or a link placed there) is trying to load the image. They have obviously placed a remote image pull-up script on their site to stop people from using it for just this kind of thing.

Ok...then why does the image come up for some users. For instance after I loaded the image using the process above (cut-and-paste) and then went into YM's post and changed the code to BB code, the image showed up. DOH! Of course it did because that image was now cached in my Internet browser file area and it was pulling the image from my local files!

Also YM - you may be able to see the image because you have access via a cookie on your machine to do so.

My advice...use one of the other image services that is allowing remote image use.

Jim
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Friday, May 31, 2002 - 04:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

My advice...use one of the other image services that is allowing remote image use.

What would you suggest?

YodaMan
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, May 31, 2002 - 12:02 PM UTC
Well the best scenario is ussually your ISP. They sometimes give you free space (5-10mb) and you wouldn't have any size or bandwidth limitations (within reason). If that's the case then just get the info (host/login/password) and proceed to cnet's download.com. Get yourself the freeware version of CuteFTP. Install and away you go. Ok...it will take you a few moments if you have never used an FTP program, but not much longer. If you get stuck just let us know.

Alternately I think some Yahoo and MSN services still allow linkage to pics. Just check around. Maybe if someone else is sure on this please let the green guy know.

And you could always host some images here of course. We are getting low on space though so I would certainly appriciate all users who find a way to create their own model galleries off-site. This will hopefully be a temporary issue as I am hoping to be able to double our storage space soon with a hosting plan upgrade. Just comes down to the $$$.

Jim
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Sunday, June 02, 2002 - 09:41 PM UTC

Did it work? Did it work? Can ya see it?
Jim, the trial and error of posting photos has brought up a good question from me; is there a limit to the size (pixel width and file size) for posting on the boards? This picture coulda been a lot bigger...

YodaMan
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 02, 2002 - 10:34 PM UTC
Yep - can see the Mustang just fine now!!!

Gunnie
penpen
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
entire network: 1,757 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 02, 2002 - 11:39 PM UTC
So, Yoda, How did you do it ?
Because right now I'm a bit stuck with the same problem !!!!!!
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 03, 2002 - 01:02 AM UTC
YM,
As a matter of ease of reading I would prefer to see images no larger than 500 pixels or so. That way we don't get the scrolling text going off the screen effect. However if there is a really need for a super large image than by all means load it up. You can also use the width="500" command in an HTML IMG tag to force the image smaller.

Jim
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
entire network: 4,082 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 03, 2002 - 01:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

And you could always host some images here of course. We are getting low on space though so I would certainly appriciate all users who find a way to create their own model galleries off-site. This will hopefully be a temporary issue as I am hoping to be able to double our storage space soon with a hosting plan upgrade. Just comes down to the $$$.

Well fellow Officers...that's lower wages and higher fee for the Officers Club then... :-)

YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, June 03, 2002 - 01:29 AM UTC

There's the other bunch of pictures for you. I've also got some in-progress pictures of my Alien and Star Destroyer, but I don't know where to post them. You can tell I didn't airbrush these two plane models... but hey, I'm still a beginner!!! :-) I also need to get some practice with composition and lighting... these are indoor shots. Hard to believe I had 4 100 watt light bulbs around each model!

YodaMan
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, June 03, 2002 - 02:36 AM UTC
Here's the rest.... for now. They are kinda dark. I'll probably take a bunch of pictures outside and replace the old with the new.

The white you can see on the legs is white out, where those cracks appear everytime I drop the stupid model!

The white out is more visible here. The tail, head and horn things on his back were held i place temporarily by sticky putty.

A closeup of 'those horn things'. A bit dark....

A closeup of the head after clearcoat and a wash that isn't very visible from this angle.

The silver was is a bit more visible here. Cooooool

Hopefully this post won't take too long to load for everyone. I'll try to shoot some pics of the Destroyer tomorrow and post 'em.

YodaMan
dman
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 64 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 20, 2002 - 04:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

YodaMan
I'm just an average Joe

I suggest using pbase as they offer a lot of space (possible unlimitted, I haven't checked) and allow you to create different folders, and galleries for your pictures. An added bonus is that it's all free, and that there are no pop-up ads at all.
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 3,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 678 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 01, 2002 - 01:33 PM UTC
http://community.webshots.com/user/tankcarl

Cut and paste and look there,a rough album of some of my armor.
 _GOTOTOP