_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!: Armor/AFV
This is a group for armor scratchbuilding questions, topics and projects.
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
Tow Cable Ends for T55
Gewehr98
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 3 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 13, 2013 - 09:54 AM UTC
I'm a new modeler, and I have an old ESCI T-55AM that I am slowly building, learning as I go. It has no tow cable. I was able to scratch a metal cable, but I can't figure out how to make the ends. I borrowed a Tamiya one and tried to cast it without luck, and building one from sheet brass and wire (or Milliput and wire) doesn't look right. Anyone have an idea on this?
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 3,845 Posts
KitMaker Network: 209 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 13, 2013 - 10:08 AM UTC
If I were you, I'd try to make them "sculpting" some thick plastic piece. Otherwise you should try to make using some epoxy putty
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 7,219 Posts
KitMaker Network: 981 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 13, 2013 - 05:19 PM UTC
The end can be difficult to cast as is. Just put foil on one side of the opening. Now you can treat it as a part with no opening. After you remove it from the mold, the area where the foil was will be an extremely thin skin that you can easily remove.
Gewehr98
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 16, 2013 - 10:35 AM UTC
Thank you both for the tips. I did try carving one, but I need 12 for the the 3 ESCI T-55's I have and my first one looked miserable. They're small. Thanks Robert for the foil over the ends, that did the trick, the mold looks really good this time.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 7,219 Posts
KitMaker Network: 981 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 16, 2013 - 02:37 PM UTC
Glad it worked. Can you post pics?
Gewehr98
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 19, 2013 - 10:50 AM UTC
Yes, the mold looks perfect, thank you. Now to just figure out the rest of the casting process... You know, I got back into this after 40 years, and so much to learn. Airbrushing, PE, CA glue, casting, aftermarket everything, vast references via the net (thanks to you guys). My first model, it's been underway for months, and I'm not sure where to stop. All that work, and it will only be fit for blowing up with firecrackers!
 _GOTOTOP