_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Dealing with Photoetch + transparent film
Alpacino
Visit this Community
Vilnius, Lithuania
entire network: 12 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 12, 2013 - 01:51 AM UTC
Hi Guys,

I have one question how would you proceed in this situation, when you have 1) a plastic part; 2) a transparent film; 3) a photoetched part.

The build should go transparent film on top of plastic part and on top of them both the PE part, leaving some parts of film open.

Would you :
A. first paint the photo etch part separately and only then glue or
B. would you glue overything together and then mask tiny parts which are not covered by PE (like the speedometer etc.) and paint afterwards?

If you answer B, could you say more pricesely, I for example don't have tiny punch and die sets for this, maybe liquid mask? But I have never tried one, so don't know the pros and cons and which are better?

The Image below:

Thanks for your input
Jessie_C
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 6,965 Posts
KitMaker Network: 609 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 12, 2013 - 02:10 AM UTC
First paint the photoetched part. While that's drying, paint the back of the film white so that when you put everything together you can see the instrument pointers. When the paint is dry, layer the photoetch on top of the film using Future or clear paint (this is so you don't get Superglue's characteristic fogging). Once it's dry, trim the film to match the etched part, then glue that onto the plastic part, which you painted while the other parts were drying.
Rouse713
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 367 Posts
KitMaker Network: 40 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 12, 2013 - 07:41 AM UTC
I am building a flak halftrack with the same situation. I have painted the plastic under part with the rest of the kit.

I will paint and weather the brass part separately when I feel like it. When most of the main model is finished being painted (no more washes), I will glue all the film and and brass top piece to the model. The final weathering step with pigments will then be applied. I am hoping this will work, as I avoid masking and having the washes damage the clear film.
Alpacino
Visit this Community
Vilnius, Lithuania
entire network: 12 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 12, 2013 - 09:48 AM UTC
Thanks for your answers I also intuitively thought that this is the best way to go
 _GOTOTOP