_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Raised Panel Lines
plasticman17
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 78 Posts
KitMaker Network: 25 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 11, 2013 - 04:49 PM UTC
Hello!

Hope someone can help me out here. I am currently modeling the B-29 (Enola Gay) 1/144 Minicraft kit. I noticed that the fuselage has the raised panel lines. I glued the fuselage together and the panel lines go over the seam. How do I go about NOT sanding out the lines? There so small, even if I touched them with some fine steel wool, they'll disappear. Im trying to be careful, but there's no way that these panel lines wont be hit by my sandpaper.... Is there a trick to this? Thanks for any help
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 7,219 Posts
KitMaker Network: 981 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 11, 2013 - 05:14 PM UTC
There is a sander that has thin strips (about 1/4 inch) of hobby sandpaper in a U shaped frame. I have it, but don't remember the name, nor where I have it right now. It works great. Hopefully someone else on here knows what I'm talking about.

EDIT: I just found the strips. Still looking for the frame. The strips are folded over on each end to attach to the frame. This is a very handy tool for armor and aircraft.

plasticman17
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, January 11, 2013 - 05:29 PM UTC
oh great! I heard of them before, but I did not have that in mind when doing raised panel lines. I was thinking that there was some kind of tool out there that would either be placed over the panel line to protect it or actually create a raised or illusional looking panel line. Ive been out of modeling for a few years, so I dont know what new gadgets are out there.

But thank you kindly for sending me the information, have a great weekend my friend!
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, January 11, 2013 - 07:07 PM UTC
Honestly, no kit aircraft kit should have raised lines, especially 1/144 . I no it goes against our nature to destroy detail, but would you consider sanding them all off? That would be the most realistic look. And while also not realistic, you could consider lightly scribing the lines.
If you want to keep the lines and accidentally sand off a portion, used stretched sprue to replace it. You can stretch it surprisingly thin, but use CA to glue it in place. Most liquid cements will just melt it into the fuselage and it won't be crisp if it stays there at all.
Jessie_C
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 6,965 Posts
KitMaker Network: 609 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 12, 2013 - 02:16 AM UTC
At that scale you can replace the panel lines by simply cutting a new line with your hobby knife. The knife causes the plastic to bend upwards slightly on either side of the cut mark, which will then fill when you put thick paint over it.

Or simply rescribe the whole model. It's small enough that it won't take very long to do.
mrockhill
Visit this Community
entire network: 566 Posts
KitMaker Network: 11 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 12, 2013 - 02:17 AM UTC
You can try protecting raised detail and panel lines with tamiya tape or something similar to reduce accidental damage
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 12, 2013 - 02:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Honestly, no kit aircraft kit should have raised lines, especially 1/144 . I no it goes against our nature to destroy detail, but would you consider sanding them all off? That would be the most realistic look. And while also not realistic, you could consider lightly scribing the lines.
If you want to keep the lines and accidentally sand off a portion, used stretched sprue to replace it. You can stretch it surprisingly thin, but use CA to glue it in place. Most liquid cements will just melt it into the fuselage and it won't be crisp if it stays there at all.

At 144, they would be visible. However, to accurately represent them, you would need to sand them off. Then, scribe the most shallow line you can.
MadModeler
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
entire network: 454 Posts
KitMaker Network: 165 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 12, 2013 - 10:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

You can try protecting raised detail and panel lines with tamiya tape or something similar to reduce accidental damage

I did this to my old German U Boat in 1:72... Giving it a canning effect. Works great. Two thumbs up.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 12, 2013 - 10:53 AM UTC
I have the 1/72 Flasher. Raised lines on a sub are fine - those are welds. I have to disagree about using a hobby knife to scribe lines and intentionally leave raised lines. That's what we usually try to avoid. I have used an old no. 11 as a scribe, dragging it backward. If it's not raising a curled bit of plastic it's cutting, not scribing. Best thing is an actual scribing tool.
plasticman17
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 12, 2013 - 03:06 PM UTC
Thanks everyone, I like all of your ideas. I like the sanding off the lines and re scribing idea. I do have a scriber, but I have to practice with it. This may be more work then its worth. The detail is so small, I dont know if its worth re-doing all the lines. Hmmmmm, what to do, what to do
Jessie_C
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 6,965 Posts
KitMaker Network: 609 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 12, 2013 - 05:35 PM UTC
The other way to do panel lines in 1/144 is to simply mask and spray slightly different tones of the basic colour.
Dragon164
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 1,909 Posts
KitMaker Network: 162 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 12, 2013 - 06:30 PM UTC
Jim,
What I do when I have to sand next to a line or what not is use a small flat file try to find one that does not have both edges as files that way you can file right next to the line and not damage it.

Cheers Rob.
plasticman17
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 13, 2013 - 07:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Jim,
What I do when I have to sand next to a line or what not is use a small flat file try to find one that does not have both edges as files that way you can file right next to the line and not damage it.

Cheers Rob.

I like that idea Rob! I'll try that first, thank you
 _GOTOTOP