Discuss general weathering topics here.
help with wash (staining)
Sniper738
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 14 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 08, 2013 - 09:54 AM UTC
Question: I'm an old-time modeler getting back into it. I want to make a wash on my armor models. I don't use acrylic paints. We used to coat the models with "Future Floor Wax" and then make a wash with mineral spirits and oil paints. I can't find Future floor wax anywhere! What do you guys use now-a-days to coat the models with prior to washing (staining)? Please note: this is my first post on the internet of any kind. I've never even been to a chat room before, so bare with me.
Rouse713
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 367 Posts
KitMaker Network: 40 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 08, 2013 - 12:10 PM UTC
I would really look for Future. I think any acrylic gloss coat will do, but please look for Future. Where do you live?
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 4,691 Posts
KitMaker Network: 668 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 08, 2013 - 01:23 PM UTC
You can use any clear acrylic gloss overcoat in the absence of Future.Such as Vallejo,Tamiya,Modelmaster Acrylic.

but here is a link for Future on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=future+floor+wax
didgeboy
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,846 Posts
KitMaker Network: 208 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 08, 2013 - 04:02 PM UTC
Daniel;
If you have a Walmart near you they stock future. Just look for the floor wax area, near the pledge, and you will see the clear bottles of liquid floor wax. Cheers.
Sniper738
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 09, 2013 - 03:20 AM UTC
Thanks to all for the advise. I did know that the other products you guys mentioned were out there, but I was under the impression that the ingredients were different then the older "Future" which was a clear acrilic coating (I don't believe there was actually any wax in it). With this in mind do you guys think these other products would do the same job for the wash? God bless!
didgeboy
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,846 Posts
KitMaker Network: 208 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 09, 2013 - 03:45 AM UTC
Yes they are the same recipe as the old future floor wax. All are acrylic clear gloss cote and all will serve e same purpose, people are just more familiar with "pledge" than they are with "future", hence the name change.
Sniper738
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 09, 2013 - 04:47 AM UTC
Thank you didgeboy. You rule!!! Now I will practice with this on an old tank to get my skills back. (I haven't built a model since the death of my 22yr old son Joshua in Dec 2010). Once I practice I'll get back to finishing my 1/35 Brit M3 Suart. Thanks to all for the advice! Semper Fi
chriscoolguy
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 10 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 16, 2013 - 05:38 PM UTC
So we can future on the tank let it dry few days then use a wash of enmial paint. When i built armor i would dry brush the heck out of the tank lol
 _GOTOTOP