_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Exhaust fan (for resin dust and fumes)?
communityguy
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 493 Posts
KitMaker Network: 133 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 06, 2013 - 12:03 PM UTC
I've just started my first resin kit. WOW what a lot of dust and stink! My workbench is actually inside my house (thanks to my wife for her understanding!) so I'm keen on finding a venting solution so I don't have dust and stink all throughout the house.

Anyone run into this problem and have any ideas/solutions? Is there a "resin dust exhaust fan"??

Thanks!
chrisgrove
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 78 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 07, 2013 - 07:35 AM UTC
Jake

Can't say I've noticed much stink from resin kits, but dust....yes! Don't grind pouring blocks off; use a saw or knife - much less dust but watch your fingers. For sanding, do it wet (waterproof sanding paper known in UK as wet'n'dry) and get rid of the wet dust down the sink.

If you still have problems with dust, try an airbrushing spray booth which should pull in any dust from resin kits, provided you work fairly close up to it (like I've always been meaning to remember to do!).

Chris
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 2,191 Posts
KitMaker Network: 357 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 07, 2013 - 08:16 AM UTC
I "try" to do most of my sanding, and cutting of pour plugs in my paint booth which hopefully catches most of the dust.

The other suggestion I've heard is to have a larger Tupperware container with a few inches of water in it, and use wet/dry sand paper and whatnot. I've never done that, but it seems like a bit of a pain.

I'm lucky/unlucky enough to do all my modeling in my garage.
communityguy
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, January 07, 2013 - 08:40 AM UTC
Yeah, I have debated pulling out the spray booth. I could probably just replace the filter with a resin specific one and make sure to wipe everything down to remove loose particles after doing the resin work.

The (fairly big) downside though is that you're introducing floating/loose particles into your spray area. Not good.
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Monday, January 07, 2013 - 08:44 AM UTC
On a spray booth, or any other sort of exhaust hood, clean air is moving past your subject, through the filter, and then out. Unless you're shaking the filter out in the booth, I don't see a big problem with dust coming out of the filter to attack your model.

I would say for the bigger chunks of resin bits that are cut/ground off, just hit the booth with the flex hose of your house vacuum cleaner.
communityguy
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, January 07, 2013 - 09:00 AM UTC
I was worrying more generally about particles being stirred up and attracted to wet paint. You don't think that's a concern though?
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Monday, January 07, 2013 - 11:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I was worrying more generally about particles being stirred up and attracted to wet paint. You don't think that's a concern though?

*I* don't think so. Like I said, if you're concerned, hit the booth with a vacuum before you paint.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 07, 2013 - 10:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

*I* don't think so. Like I said, if you're concerned, hit the booth with a vacuum before you paint.

You can also spray down your painting area with water to dampen the area and dust wont be an issue ... or as much of an issue. "Mist" some water around using your airbrush or even a plastic bottle that you can adjust the spray function. Theres a lot of dust from the injected kits as well, when sanding is needed.
Teaker11
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 962 Posts
KitMaker Network: 154 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2013 - 02:09 AM UTC
If you decied to use a motor inline for an exhaust hood, make sure its a sealed motor as paint fumes and dust could combine for a explosive result
Jim
communityguy
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2013 - 02:27 AM UTC
Yikes, Jim! How would I even know??
Teaker11
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 962 Posts
KitMaker Network: 154 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2013 - 04:03 AM UTC
If you can see the rotor, or the wireing of the motor its not sealed, best to check with a motor supplyer and see if the motor is rated for a spray booth. or find an inline fan with the motor on the outside of the fan houseing...
jon_a_its
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,336 Posts
KitMaker Network: 170 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2013 - 10:05 PM UTC
I use an Olfa 'P' cutter or it's Tamiya equivalent, to cut the pour stubs, as this produces 'cheese-strings' of resin, not dust, then wet sand = very little dust.

Key for me is reducing the stuff breathed-in!
 _GOTOTOP