_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Track problem mmmmmmm!!??
Hip_Priest
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 142 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 12, 2003 - 05:32 AM UTC
Im 'trying'to put the tracks on my ostwind (first time) and am having a few probs.
First of all am I supposed to 'join' then ends of the tracks up before slotting in place. The tracks are the all in one jobbies btw.
Secondly, I havent joined them up yet, but when doing it loose so to speak the tracks are about 2-3mm too short and dont/cant join up. One of the end sprockets has already fallen off and I was hardly trying!
Any ideas how to overcome this annoying problem?

Also, whilst Im here, Ive done the paint job inc camo, is it at this stage that I apply my wash of Klear, followed by decals, general washing and dullcote? Come to think of it, whats the UK equivalent of dullcote and where can you purcahse it from?

Many thanks in advance.

David
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 12, 2003 - 05:45 AM UTC
Hi Hip-Priest
If the tracks are too tight... leave them in very warm water and then try and stretch them a little. Hang them up and leave some weight tied to them overnight works too. It is actually a good idea to leave the idler wheel off until you place the track first. This is the easiest way , for me anyway.

After camo, there is lots of different methods of finishing. If you want to use klear. then this is a normal way (for me); Camo, paint details, klear, decals, klear, wash, dry brush, dullcote, pastels.
The klear first helps the decals sit snug and avoids silvering. the second klear protects the decals and beds them in so they look like they are painted on. Use you own wash/dry brush routine and weather and then dullcote to have a matt finish. I use model master lacquer dullcote, but other have recommended humbrol matt cote from the bottle. One thing with matt/dull cote is to make 100% sure it is properly stirred/mixed. If not you can still get a shine or blotches of shiny areas.
Hopefully this helps
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 12, 2003 - 11:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Im 'trying'to put the tracks on my ostwind (first time) and am having a few probs.
First of all am I supposed to 'join' then ends of the tracks up before slotting in place. The tracks are the all in one jobbies btw.
Secondly, I havent joined them up yet, but when doing it loose so to speak the tracks are about 2-3mm too short and dont/cant join up. One of the end sprockets has already fallen off and I was hardly trying!
Any ideas how to overcome this annoying problem?

Also, whilst Im here, Ive done the paint job inc camo, is it at this stage that I apply my wash of Klear, followed by decals, general washing and dullcote? Come to think of it, whats the UK equivalent of dullcote and where can you purcahse it from?

Many thanks in advance.

David

All in one do you mean Rubber band type?
What Kit is it from?

If so do as plastic battle said or take one and secure to table take a little piece of lead and tie to other side so it does not break track hang off of table will stretch after a day or so check to see if fit is right paint and apply then will tighten back up over time so secure your Idler and Drive sprocket with Super glue after it is on!

If all else fails get some Fruil or Dragon gluey Tracks (++) (:-)
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 13, 2003 - 12:16 AM UTC
I have heard of using staples or wire loops to 'extend' tracks. Use them live you would thread and 'sew' the ends together taking out the appropriate slack. If it is a large gap you can make a link out of scarp or out of sheet styrene or even thick paper stock.
Position the 'fake' link behind a mud guard of at the bottom of a road wheel where it can be hidden.
 _GOTOTOP