_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Mr Surfacer 1000 ( Gunze )
TOMCAT14
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
entire network: 312 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 11, 2003 - 10:35 PM UTC

Hello Mighty Modelers , My last mission in Model Shop was a success - at least My Friend/Owner of the Shop import from Czech Rep. a massive transport of Gunze stuff - I bought a Mr Surfacer 1000 .
First I was able to check this as an very thin putty ( but I don't know is it exactly application for this ) - as anyone of You had expirience with Mr Surfacer - please advice .

Best Regards
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 11, 2003 - 11:07 PM UTC
Great stuff for filling tiny Flaws in plastic and great for making rough cast stuff on Russian stuff. Good product! (++) (:-)
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
entire network: 3,271 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 12, 2003 - 12:27 AM UTC
Tomcat dude,

the Surfacer 1000 is god send to plane modeler like you or partially me. very good for fill in small gaps, and such. Awesome stuff.

TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 12, 2003 - 02:37 PM UTC
O.K.....my simple opinion. Although a wee bit on the expensive side of the tracks, it is simply a 'blood hound' for all of your cracks, seams, sanding lines, gaps, blemishes, air bubble craters, mould lines, flash ridges, left-over raised detail lines, putty ridges, wee-waa's, Klingon Death Sticks, Rom......wait a minute, got a little off-track there for a sec...........you get the idea. :-)
Good stuff.

Tread.

Oh, also. The Mr. Surfacer 500 in a jar is superb for brush application to an individual crack, seam, sanding line, gap,............................................... #:-)
Cob
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 275 Posts
KitMaker Network: 95 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 13, 2003 - 09:03 AM UTC
I agree with all of you ...this stuff is great. I picked up a bottle a few days ago. The label has no English translation and my Japanese is limited to ordering a beer I was wondering what is the best way to clean a brush after using this stuff? laquer thinner maybe? So far I have used a cheap throw-away brush to apply and stipple surfaces. so it hasn't been an issue.
Thanks,
Cob
sphyrna
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 379 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 13, 2003 - 11:22 AM UTC
Gunze also makes a product called Mr. Thinner (or Mr. color Thinner) - a thinner formulated for Mr. Surfacer- A little expensive- but it's the BEST for cleaning up Mr. Surfacer - and great for thinning Mr. Surfacer as well.

I've tried alot of other thinners to clean up Mr. Surfacer- none work anywhere near as good as Mr. Thinner.
I sound like a commercial

Peter

TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 13, 2003 - 05:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

[b]
....... I sound like a commercial

No problem Mr. Infomercial, oops sorry, I mean, Mr. sphyrna..... Now, if you can give me a word-for-word translation of either, the Mr. Surfacer bottle, or, the Mr. Thinner bottle, I'll be forever grateful to you!! #:-) #:-)

Tread.

Actually, better yet, if you could translate the magazine 'Steel Masters' for me, I promise, I'll never say a contrary thing about you..............promise!
sphyrna
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 379 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 14, 2003 - 03:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Now, if you can give me a word-for-word translation of either, the Mr. Surfacer bottle, or, the Mr. Thinner bottle, I'll be forever grateful to you!

Aye,
to quote from the bottle " Treadhead will, on the first of each month, supply to Sphyrna goods equal to, or no less than $250, 3 Trumpeter K-5 units preferable." /unquote...

:) I don't have an idea what the bottle says, sorry .... I have found various tips and hints on the Gunze products here on Armorama, and also over on Missing Lynx. A search on some of the DGs at ML should bring up info on Mr. Surfacer and Mr. Thinner.

I found out about Mr. Thinner on ML - and it just happened that my local hobby store had some Mr. Thinner instock - the hobby store owner mentioned that it's hard to get alot of Mr. xxx products here in the States - so if you see some Mr. Surfacer 500 or 1000, or Mr. Thinner - buy it!

The first shipments of K-5s I shall expect by Dec. 1

Peter
Golikell
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 1,757 Posts
KitMaker Network: 126 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 14, 2003 - 03:51 AM UTC
anyboy any idea if this stuf is available in cloggiecountry?
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 14, 2003 - 10:02 AM UTC
Anybody know who carries it in the States.
m1garand
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,248 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 14, 2003 - 10:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Anybody know who carries it in the States.

Try at Greatmodels:

http://greatmodels.com/cgi/display.cgi?item_num=gusf284

http://greatmodels.com/cgi/display.cgi?item_num=gusf285
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, November 14, 2003 - 05:49 PM UTC
LOLOLlLLL......that's pretty funny sphyrna, except for one thing. You must have done the translation at the end of the day and been dog tired, because your syntax is wrong. You must have read from the bottom to top instead of the other way around, because you confused the second two words immediately following the second comma of the sentence (a common anglo mistake ). What it says in actuality is "...receive from...", not "...supply to...". It's just a reversal of tense's or something like that.
No worries tho' mate! Now that you've read the bottle properly I expect you'll be wanting to honour ancient tradition. :-)

Tread out.
 _GOTOTOP