_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: The Springbok Club
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
Revell/Dragon/Esci 1:9 Sd.Kfz. 2 Kettenkrad
historian747
Visit this Community
South Africa
entire network: 4 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 31, 2012 - 12:43 AM UTC
Hi guys
A while ago I picked up the above Revell kit from Karel at Aviation Shop in Jo'burg.

Years ago as a laaitie I spent most of my pocket money savings on the old Esci 1:9 kits of the Zundapp bike as well as their rendering of the British Army Truimph bike. Obviously made a mess of them but enjoyed them tremendously!! I distinctly remember craving their 1:9 Kettenkrad but I couldn't afford it then. So when many years later I saw this kit, I just HAD to have it, albeit at R900+ (steep for such an old kit that have since been re-released by Italeri, then Dragon and then also Revell.

The parts do show the age of the molds. Some parts are very thickly molded and would be considered clunky by modern standards, were it not for the HUGE scale. Also, lotsa flash. But the main problems are lack of sufficient detail in some areas (think engine, engine bay, electric system, connection for brake cables to handle bars, lack of front fork operated levers that connect to brakes to steer the real McCoy, etc.) and the critically misaligned and frankly blobby lumps of plastic on the individual track links that supposedly represent nuts and bolts

So now I am busy scratchbuilding details onto each of the 84 links. This entails about 500 bolts/nuts that have to be painstakingly hand made and installed, not to mention filling up HUGE sink holes!

http://picasaweb.google.com/111524154875769787642/Revell1_9SdKfz2Kettenkrad?authuser=0&feat=directlink
 _GOTOTOP