_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
What kind of modeler are you? Chinese Way
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
entire network: 3,271 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 11, 2003 - 07:07 PM UTC
I read from a Chinese magazine the other day, the dude who wrote it must be real cynical or something, so basicly he classified four kind of modelers:

1. The Builder, People who builds a lot. He seems like this group of people, but who doesn't....

2. Collector, people who collects models more than they build.

3. Talker, People who talk alot about their models, more than they build, or collect.

4. Quiter, people start a lot of models but seldom finish one. He seems to really hate them.

This article get me wondering, what kind of modeler I am, well, I do build some, but also collect like 20 to 30 kits so far, I talk a little, and haven't yet quit on one model yet....I wish they have another category, Da 4 in 1....

Oh well, I wish you read chinese, some really colorful language he used describing type 3 and 4... LOL.

So what kind of modeler you are?

lestweforget
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 2,832 Posts
KitMaker Network: 680 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 11, 2003 - 08:07 PM UTC
What am i...well, i guess im a fair bit of a talker on this site but the things i say i have built and done i really have, so its not like im making it up, ummm, im definetely a builder seings ive built and painted and finished over 200 kits and about 6 dioramas (there i go talking again ) so i guess im a builder and collector
Golikell
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 1,757 Posts
KitMaker Network: 126 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 11, 2003 - 08:53 PM UTC
Aren't we all kind a collectors? And most of us builders even, mind you!
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 11, 2003 - 09:14 PM UTC
I definately fall into category number # 1 ...... thats one of the loves in my life.

#2. I have built about 50 models and have 30something in my collection to build. I have plans to build all of these and as the boxes are opened I will consider work in progress ...Im researching looking for inspiration for them #:-)

#3. Depends on how you look at it. Theres talk and theres talk! I have 1900 posts on here concerned with modelling ...... you decide.

#4. Im proud to say I have never thrown a model away. Everything I start, I finish. Somethings might be a bit slow as interest falls, but it will be finshed. Lesser quality models, whether it be product or my ability, find their way behind or to the back of the display.
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
entire network: 3,271 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 11, 2003 - 09:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I definately fall into category number # 1 ...... thats one of the loves in my life.

#2. I have built about 50 models and have 30something in my collection to build. I have plans to build all of these and as the boxes are opened I will consider work in progress ...Im researching looking for inspiration for them #:-)

#3. Depends on how you look at it. Theres talk and theres talk! I have 1900 posts on here concerned with modelling ...... you decide.

#4. Im proud to say I have never thrown a model away. Everything I start, I finish. Somethings might be a bit slow as interest falls, but it will be finshed. Lesser quality models, whether it be product or my ability, find their way behind or to the back of the display.

Pig 32, Sir Plastic Dude,

ya are good according to the guy wrote the thing.
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 11, 2003 - 09:26 PM UTC
Hmmm,
I'm a bit of 2 and 3 although I have finished 2 kits this year! and got some others on
the go I have too many other distractions to stay focused for long
TOMCAT14
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
entire network: 312 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 11, 2003 - 10:21 PM UTC

Well , most of My modeler soul is going for number 2 option , and second part to number 1- be honest 65% - 2 and 34% - 1 and 1 % for garbage ( live , sex ...etc )

Best Regards
Petro
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 984 Posts
KitMaker Network: 65 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 11, 2003 - 10:49 PM UTC
I would classify myself as # 4. But i do not throw them away, i just never really finish them.
It all stems from Bad research and just not liking the results after seeing great models , as example, that are posted on this site! #:-)
It is a bad attitude, and hopefully i will be better able to change it.
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
entire network: 4,082 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 11, 2003 - 10:57 PM UTC
Yep,

I'm the #3 kind of guy...specially since I discovered this site #:-)
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 12, 2003 - 04:48 AM UTC
Right now I'm a #2, but that's only because of time restraints, too many 'honey dos.' When I first got into modeling, back in the early 70s, I was definately a #4, I can't honestly remember finishing ANY model I started. Since getting back into the hobby, about two years ago, I've collected far more than I've bought, but I HAVE finished some. I count that as a major accomplishment.

One type of modeler I don't care for would be a mix of #2 and #3, the type that HAS to have EVERY after market item for a kit, and seems to take great pride in this fact, but never seems to BUILD anything. This type of person is far worse than any of the others.
csch
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
entire network: 1,941 Posts
KitMaker Network: 307 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 12, 2003 - 06:03 AM UTC
Right now I rank myself as a mix of 1) & 2).
screamingeagle
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 1,027 Posts
KitMaker Network: 269 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 12, 2003 - 08:23 AM UTC
Hi Dave, i wish I could read Chinese, I would have liked to have read that article myself.
I'd honestly have to say I'm, between #1 & #2. I love building, but it's just that one model takes up time with me because of the amount of research and aftermarket accessories I put into it. But that's me and that's how I chose to go about my model building, and I enjoy every minute of it.

One thing for sure .... like yourself ....... I"M NOT A QUITTER !
I will not leave a model unfinished nor do I like interuppting one model build for another. I like to see things through. "If I'm building an East Front diorama, that's where my focus stays ..... from start to finish, I'm commited to that project. Being organized & focused just makes things run alot smoother for me personaly.

- ralph
tazz
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 1,462 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 12, 2003 - 08:35 AM UTC
thanks for posting that.
some of that makes secne,
iam kinda all of them all wraped in to one person lol
Graywolf
Staff MemberSenior Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Izmir, Turkey / Türkçe
entire network: 6,405 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,013 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 12, 2003 - 10:05 AM UTC
I am 5. 1+2+2
1 as a builder+2 as a collector and +half of 4 for being a half quitter.( I usually finish the model I start but have a few unfinished kits)
StukeSowle
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 599 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 12, 2003 - 12:00 PM UTC
I guess I am number four. The second I am unhappy with something I have done, I set it aside. For the most part this takes place during the weathering stages of my models. I have about six sitting there in various stages of weathering. I should see them through, but it's hard to focus on something that I know I am not going to be happy with.

My wife says I am way too hard on myself and my models. But I can't really seem to change the way I feel about it.

Now she would say that I am a number two. I have collected about 100 kits and a lot of AM stuff as well, not to mention books........
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 12, 2003 - 02:54 PM UTC
Agreed 4 In 1 as I am, never really is a model finished as it can always use a little more to get the extra hit out of it!! (++) (:-)
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 3,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 678 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 12, 2003 - 11:50 PM UTC
I am a #1.
Beef and Broccoli. W/ Eggroll.
If it is plastic I buy it and build it...........eventually. #:-)
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 13, 2003 - 01:21 AM UTC
I can say I am 1, a little bit of 2 and somewhat 4. No, I don't quit, I just let them stay put for a while.
Posted: Thursday, November 13, 2003 - 01:57 AM UTC
For me I would have to say, 1 and 2. As I have completed quiet a few over the past year or so. BUT at the same time. I have a few that have been waiting for me to start on them as well. i.e.e Buying more and faster than I can build. I don't really talk all tyhat much about my models, Except to those that I know and or might work with. Other wise I keep pretty much tomyseldf what I am planning and doing. Unless I need an opinion or someone else thought on a possible direction to go with a project.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 13, 2003 - 02:48 AM UTC
If you've been in the hobby for any amount of time, you become a collector of sorts. It's hard to go to a show and see a great deal and pass it up or to see a kit of a favorite subject and not get it. Sure, there are kits yet to be built, but here's a chnace to pick up something unique.
Talkers, if we weren't talkiers to some degree, we wouldn't be postingonline about our interests and wouldn't joinn clubs.
Builders, I hope so. Without the experience of building, we are wasting our time and money here and at shows.
Quitters. .Some people lose interest for a variety of reasons, from personla dissatisfation to being dissed by some knkow it all , hyper-critical big mouth who finds nothing anyone else has ever done up to par with his stuff. I suspect we've all also started a kit that was just too frustrating to finish.
capnjock
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 860 Posts
KitMaker Network: 340 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 13, 2003 - 03:12 AM UTC
Builder(finish one about every 3 months)
Collector(or was until I went into semi-retirement)
Talker(love to get together with the club and talk about what we are doing)
Armorama reader(everyday, everyday, everyday)
capnjock
Bodeen
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 1,744 Posts
KitMaker Network: 283 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 15, 2003 - 01:44 AM UTC
(++) I build a LOT...Collect some. I have about 15 unbuilt tanks and planes BUT I have, UNBUILT, just about every DML figure kit up until now. I need Frozen Battleground, Achtung Jabo, Soviet tank Riders and the Artillery Crew. I don't talk much "smack". I talk about what I know and that is WWII German vehicles. I'm not an expert modeller...but....I love to model!
I've only quit on two models...the Airfix Monty's Humber and the RPM Ford Armored Car. I can hardly read English....let alone Chinese! LOL To each his/her own I guess. Maybe I'll build a thousand models and collect ten thousand and talk about it until I quit! That would be covering ALL the bases! LOL Later Jeff
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 15, 2003 - 10:03 PM UTC
I'ld have to say primarily a 1. I've built about 20 kits this year (and it ain't over yet) I have a litle 2 in me but most of those are with building intent. I sure have some #3 in me or I wouldn't be doing this now. Glad I finally figured out how to get some pics posted so I could show my work. As to 4...well I think there are a few I keep putting on the back burner. There is a 72nd scale Airfix Vosper MTB that has been under construction for going on 4 years now
TUNA
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 449 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 21, 2003 - 02:04 AM UTC
I'm a 1.. a lil bit of 2 (trying to keep the collection low.. I try to behave believe me!!)... a lot of 3.. and not really a 4 (although, I did throw one kit out, cause it was junk... looking for it the other day, cause I figured I'd give it a shot again, now that I've learned more, but I couldn't find it.. so I assume I threw it out, it really was a piece of crap.. Glencoe Albatross)...
 _GOTOTOP