_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: Filipino Modelers Phorum
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
Mesh Sources
Jeepney
Visit this Community
Philippines
entire network: 1,538 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 11, 2003 - 05:16 PM UTC
Where can I get good substitutes for wire mesh? Kits usually mold mesh in plastic and it does not look very realistic.

Thanks!
blitz
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 502 Posts
KitMaker Network: 432 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 11, 2003 - 11:10 PM UTC
John, have you tried, dental suppliers (try Gastambide. it's at the back of University of the East or near CEU) they have a very good source of "fine" wire mesh i dunno exactly what the gauge is but i remember using my mesh on the T-34. The mesh by the way is brass. If they don't have it, try Recto (goin' to Divi -1 or 2 blocks away from Rizal Ave.) turn right and there is a store on the left side.They sell brass sheets & rods (the store by the way is in front of a funeral parlor so you can't miss it.) another source for mesh is silkscreen they come in different gauges right !
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 1,612 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,129 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 11, 2003 - 11:39 PM UTC
Brass rods? And sheets? And mesh?!? Dammit Blitz, you do have a lot of wisdom to teach us young ones!
blitz
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, November 12, 2003 - 01:27 AM UTC
hurrah!!!! for the next generation......you're more than welcome my young ones....
jomz
Visit this Community
entire network: 543 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 12, 2003 - 04:08 AM UTC
Speaking of dental supplies, I have braces and this afternoon my dentist gave my "bite-plate" a quick-repait with what she called quick-dry acrylic? It smells and tastes like plastic balloon(I had to bite into the plate to create a good mold for my teeth) and it dries pretty hard, too! Remember, I bite on this everyday, and man is it really hard, it seems that the world of dental-science may present pretty nifty resources for modellers -- though I'm assuming this stuff is expensive, for the "quick-dry-acrylic", para siyang "gaw-gaw" at first, it's pretty spread-able if you ask me while I watched her do it, reminded me of resin, really.
Jeepney
Visit this Community
Philippines
Posted: Wednesday, November 12, 2003 - 01:18 PM UTC
Oooh boy! Another trip to Avenida Rizal is in the works! Thanks for sharing your overflowing wisdom Oh Great Wise Elder (not because of your age )! I really have to set aside a day for foraging

Dentists sure have a lot of nifty tools. The scrapers they use for cleaning can be used as scribers. They have this weird-shaped pliers for bending wires and such. And of course the judges/rivet counters use dentists' mirrors to take a peek underneath and inside your masterpiece.
blitz
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, November 12, 2003 - 03:41 PM UTC
I dunno if quick dry acrylic is the same with dental resin though it's cheap (available in small quantity (almost like a bottle of acetone - for the hardener) but the problem with that stuff is you have a lot of shrinkage and fast drying. but one technique suggested by a FSM reader is applying it layer by layer or sparingly . it's great for duplicating small parts..
blitz
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, November 12, 2003 - 03:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Oooh boy! Another trip to Avenida Rizal is in the works! Thanks for sharing your overflowing wisdom Oh Great Wise Elder (not because of your age )! I really have to set aside a day for foraging

Dentists sure have a lot of nifty tools. The scrapers they use for cleaning can be used as scribers. They have this weird-shaped pliers for bending wires and such. And of course the judges/rivet counters use dentists' mirrors to take a peek underneath and inside your masterpiece.

i also had the idea before that their "handy" dental grinder is an alternative for dremel... with all those small bits and burrs ... oo nga pala that's what i am using for my dremel those bits and drills just buy a universal chuck attachment for your dremel....
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,612 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,129 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 12, 2003 - 08:07 PM UTC
Jeep: Oooh! Oooh! Please please please when you do go out foraging, please get me some brass, too! And also some decal paper! Please please! #:-)
shonen_red
Visit this Community
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 12, 2003 - 11:11 PM UTC
jomz - Well dude, that thing can be really be use as a casting tool. Believe me, I have that here and will try it to cast on my models. Good thing me and my destist are close friends so he gave me some dental plaster (for the mold which looks like sand) and the thing you mentioned (the pinkish gummy thing)

I'll try it when I purchased the MLRS.
Jeepney
Visit this Community
Philippines
Posted: Thursday, November 13, 2003 - 12:51 PM UTC
I have a CEU student friend who might take a peek at the said dentist supply store and ask around for prices
shonen_red
Visit this Community
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 14, 2003 - 12:49 AM UTC
I know a shop here at Las Piņas where they sell dental supplies. Not sure if they had all of them but it's worth a try. Malapit sya sa RFC. Not sure of the exact location and name. I'll go check it out some time.
 _GOTOTOP